de-gunking mast

I need to apply mast wear strips, but the adhesive from the old ones is still there, and does not want to let go. So far I've tried Goo Gone and acetone, with little effect. What works?

I have tried the Goo Gone, let it sit then get an old credit card or a plastic scraper
and it came off.

....wear strips.....sounds like something I could really use! Are they adhesive "cushions" that keep the mast from wearing on the tube? Are they something that can be purchased online or avaliable at a known source?
Thank you in advance! Eric

....wear strips.....sounds like something I could really use! Are they adhesive "cushions" that keep the mast from wearing on the tube? Are they something that can be purchased online or avaliable at a known source?
Thank you in advance! Eric

Some people, including me, have reported that these wear strips (may) cause the gel coat at the very bottom of the mast tube to chip off. I searched TLF a bit but can't find the thread anymore :(.

i dont see how it can help mast rake...maybe reduce mast slop.....and it sounds like any teflon tape would work

Some people, including me, have reported that these wear strips (may) cause the gel coat at the very bottom of the mast tube to chip off. I searched TLF a bit but can't find the thread anymore :(.
Do you have any ideas why it might do that? Do you think that maybe the seam where the strip butts together may "pic" at prexisting cracks in the gel coat?

I just spent a lot of effort (with the help of many posts the you all have written) reinforcing my mast step. Kaiser helped me with the west system epoxy set up, which was fantastic, .....and one of the things I did was pour a layer of epoxy, 1/4 inch with alum filler (important...level the boat so the tube is perfectly verticle) . It hardens into a slick, smooth bottom to which I "glued" my stainless steel disk. I feel that this will give me as good of protection from wear as possible. I'm hoping that I will have better luck using wear strips .....if I should decide to use them.
Howerver.....I am aaaaaaallllll ears! And as always appreciate the input!
Thanks! Eric

ps : ask Kaiser what happens when you try to lay the ss disk on epoxy that is still in the fluid state.......

Acetone will generally disolve any remaining adheasive.

Regarding the use of teflon strips, I have used the APS ones and feel they are valuable in terms of preventing the bottom of the mast from digging into the forward portion of the tube. When "re-habbing" my 1979 boat, I lucked out and found the tube to be solid and watertight. However, I also found that the bottom forward corner of the mast had dug into the forward end of the tube. You can check for this condition by taking a coat hanger, straightening it and putting a small 90 degree bend on one end to act as a probe. I did this and by feeling around the bottom of the tube, I could feel where the gelcoat was worn away and the corner of the mast was digging into the glass fibers. I cannot say how deep it was for sure, but it had to be at least 1/8" (.125")!!

Again, knowing that the tube was watertight, and not knowing how to fill the indentation, I decided to put the APS teflon strips on the mast. I felt that the strips would transmit the force over a larger area thus reducing the force on the very bottom of the step. This was three years ago, and the tube is still holding water. Regarding the seams, you should put the bottom seam facing aft and the top seam facing forward. This way they will not be in contact with the tube when the mast is being flexed.

As for mast rake, I cannot see how this will inprove or harm it.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the research and the input! My new bottom plug is in fact a hair smaller in diameter the mast (1974 vintage if it matters) so I have an aluminum edge at the bottom that is an issue. hopefully I can stay ahead of any wear problems on the old goat! Thanks Eric

Levent:

If you are referring to the strips, I would certainly put them on a new or newer mast/boat. And yes, APS seems to be the only place to find them.

Back