dating a fish

drylander

First let me apologize for asking a question that is undoubtably answered in the archives, but my browser will not allow me to use the search engine on this site , probably because the results appear as "pop-ups"
I just aquired a board that must be a fairly old one, no serial # or manufacturers plate at the stern at all, but on the port side near the bow is a decal that says "Alcort Sunfish". The cockpit has no cargo well and there is no metal edging on its underside. There is an oval brass plaque just below the bow handle that reads "Alcort Inc. Waterbury CT" Also more annoying is the fact that it never had any kind of cleat for the main sheet....
Thanks, Mark

From what I've read and worked with your boat sounds like an early 1960s. I say that mainly because of your mention of the brass plate mounted near the bow. Later boats found the plate just behind the coaming and even in the footwell. The lack of a block you find annoying didn't change until the late 1980's. Before then there was a hook or a block installed as an aftermarket add-on by the boat owner.

Thanks for the info, Dan. My 70's fish has a jam cleat for the mainsheet and I just assumed it was a standard item. I am fixing up this new board for a friend who wants a boat but has no money and have scavenged all the other parts i need from stuff thrown out from an old girl scout camp. There is a certain joy in being very cheap! Mark

Back