daggerboard repair/refinish

dkaukeinen

I have plenty of dings/wear on my centerboards, especially since switching to a JC strap/retainer system. Has anyone had any luck refinishing with epoxy and if so, please share any details as to the materials/procedures used. Will the epoxy adhere to the core and is a pigment used to make it more UV stable?

Thanks
Doug

yep, Ben & I are repairing daggerboard & rudder on both a Sunfish & Laser with West Epoxy. Works great. I have previously repaired the wooden Sunfish boards with Devoe 142 which works even better, but its not as user friendly and its GREY.

The laser kit has been topcoated with Devoe 4508 white, looks & feels as good as new. (Epoxy will yellow if left out in the sun, Gelcoat will fade out in the sun, alkyd marine paints will chalk out in the sun... only the polyurethanes are sun resistant long term, & I will use Devoe aliphatics on the decks)

in the interest of full disclosure, I work for AkzoNobel. Devoe & Epiglass are our brands and while Devoe is easy to find, the alternative to the West epoxies has been elusive for folk on the east coast of Canada.

I promise , again, that pics are being uploaded to Photobucket & I will post soon!

cheers
Bill TGH

I have plenty of dings/wear on my centerboards, especially since switching to a JC strap/retainer system. Has anyone had any luck refinishing with epoxy and if so, please share any details as to the materials/procedures used. Will the epoxy adhere to the core and is a pigment used to make it more UV stable?

Thanks
Doug

Dougie!! I have used West mixed with either their microbaloons or this other addiive they make to form a putty. It is much more sandable than 100% West epoxy. I have then Repainted with Krylon spray. No idea if it is UV resistant but then agan it is usually underwater! Jono just repIntx with some paint that he says is fantastic. He should b able to post what it is. Chris

Doug,

Brian Weeks wrote about these repairs in Windward Leg (Spring 1997 and Summer 1994). But if you can't locate those old issues, here is some recent info that covers the topic well:
http://schrothfiberglass.com/centerboard_and_rudder_repairs.htm

I have had good success with Marine Tex (as the epoxy/filler) and spray paint (like Krylon) to cover, followed by wet sanding.

PS: Old issues of Windward Leg can be obtained from the Class Office.

Back