daggerboard dimensions

dwaw

i thought i read on an earlier thread that someone has dimensions for making a daggerboard. i thought i'd try my hand at making one if anyone can help with the sizes. thanks

How much better is the new squared off board? I just made the classic one because that's what I remember using years ago. Seems like it would drag through the muck a little better.

Wooden boards have a spring metal strap that wedges the board in the centerboard trunk. You can buy them new for not much. When not using the bundgee line, the first part of the board is wedged in at an angle to hold the board up in shallow water.

never having used one how do you secure it in place?

The new ('plastic fantastic') boards have a stopper that prevents them from sliding (too far) down the daggerboard trunk.

PS: By now, the longer foam boards aren't so 'new' anymore.

How much better is the new squared off board? I just made the classic one because that's what I remember using years ago. Seems like it would drag through the muck a little better.

Maybe true, but the newer board wasn't designed for mud/muck racing. The longer board is deemed necessary to be competitive in races. But Paul Foerster would still beat me by ten boat lengths (or more :eek:), racing with an old board, I predict.

Nevertheless, if you want to build a wooden board, you might as well go with the newer shape, as Wayne recommended in his earlier post.

Here's a photo of my Moth blades. The wooden daggerboard is just a longer version of the plastic Sunfish daggerboard , as the Moth has a deeper hull.
BLADES002.jpg

Back