Current thought

Thad2000

I'm not a fishing or clamming guy, so I've never had reason to pay attention to tides. Recently, I took my newbie self off the lake and into the "big blue." Ok, not the real big blue.. more like puget sound, which is a pretty sheltered area that usually isn't full of big swells or breaks.
First time out I capsized four times. It seemed much different that on the lake. I even found myself wondering if the increased buoyancy from the salt water made the boat more unstable. I later found my boat was taking on copious amounts of water through the gunwales.
Now, I think I sealed a majority of the leaks. Yet, I still ended up capsizing once and having some close calls. I also had a bit of an ordeal getting back to my starting point. I didn't have wind at first and lazily, I thought, just drifted along. Pretty soon I'd gotten a bit away from where I started and tried in earnest to get back. As hard as I sailed I wasn't making any headway. It was later pointed out that the tide was coming in and wood and other objects thrown in the water where moving at a brisk walk. That with the combination of sailing upwind had me held in place. Realizing I needed to learn more about tides and currents in sailing, I also realized it must also play a roll in boat stability.
I white water kayak a bit and know the importance of river reading and knowing which way to brace against a current. With that in mind I imagine the dagger board catching a current going say ... east, while the wind is blowing west.. and it seems like it's the type thing that would throw you in a spin cycle. So, anyone have any tips or stories that might impart a little first hand knowledge?

current is a big factor in the laser, and even in keel boats, it can cause some strange things to happen for sure

it probably won't make the boat unstable unless its very strong

My favorite "current" story is racing in Charleston harbor against a 30 or so boat Laser fleet including the lead harbor pilot. Some may know this spot is where the Ashley and Cooper rivers come together to form the Atlantic Ocean and at times the tidal currents can almost suck a buoy under.

At the start on starboard tack we were dead downwind of the weather mark but with the outgoing tide running full I sensed that I could lay the first mark without tacking.

The rest of the fleet soon peeled off on port leaving me all alone to ... sure enough .... lay the weather mark. I literally rounded the gibe mark a full course leg ahead before any of the rest of the fleet was even able to reach down to the weather mark having horribly over-stood.

The harbor pilot was a little embarrassed that he should have known better!

An old teacher tought me "always go against the wind so you can return with the wind when you are tired and never underestimate the current or you may be unable to return to the dock". I followed that advise and never regreted it.

In a few ocassions I returned to the dock earlier than my friends when I noticed that the wind was shifting or the current was increasing. In most of those cases, those that stayed away had to be towed back to the club because they were unable to return by sailing.

Back