Cross training for Hiking Strength

L

LarsenCanvas

I've been wondering what kind of cross training might help to build hiking strength. Is bicycling good to build some hiking strength? What about exercises, like having your back against a wall and the legs bent at a right angle like you are sitting in chair. This exercise I know builds your thigh strength. What do people do when they can't go sailing, and don't have a hiking bench?

If I don't go sailing, I will go swimming! For hiking, I think the hip flexor muscle is very important.. so I will swim without missing out freestyle cos this stroke is good for strengthening hip flexor...

For the training of endurance, I will play badminton or do real stair climbing. I stay on the 14th floor.. Both train the stamina....

Grab a copy of Sail Fitter by M. Blackburn - it's got plenty of suggestions. Riding a bike will help some. Consider building a hiking bench - you can build one that doesn't cost much or take up a lot of space. The bench is by far the best way to increase your hiking endurance

Leg raises, crunches, pushups, pullups, standing rows, leg curls, anything that works your thighs, abs, back, and pulling muscles is good. Cardio is also really important. A hiking bench takes like 2 hours to build and is really cheap to buy materials. That's what I would suggest.

Tim

Getting on a rowing machine helps definitely for cardio work and really works out all the muscles you will use sailing.
Also using a gym ball with various exercises mentioned above helps core stability.

Sarah B said:
Getting on a rowing machine helps definitely for cardio work and really works out all the muscles you will use sailing.
Also using a gym ball with various exercises mentioned above helps core stability.

My method to build the muscles needed for working the sheet is to lie on the couch and drink tinnies.

Merrily said:
I sure as hell hope you mean a beer.

Technically a beer in a tin can - hence tinnie. Aussies love putting "ie" sound on the end of anything.

Eg

Last Chrissy I invited Bluey and Micky over for a Barbie where we sucked on tinnies

Skipper Johnson said:
Technically a beer in a tin can - hence tinnie. Aussies love putting "ie" sound on the end of anything.

Eg

Last Chrissy I invited Bluey and Micky over for a Barbie where we sucked on tinnies

Thanks for clearing that up. I may learn to speak Aussie yet.

Merrilyie

Skipper Johnson said:

Eg

Wow, Laser sailing (and this Forum) is so educational for us Yankees ...:)

Yeah, Skipper J will think we are an even stranger mob when he learns that we don't eat out of tins. We eat out of cans. So I guess that means a brewsky is a cannie. Uncanny. I think of these things while using my hiking bench, to keep my mind sharp. Maybe I should stick to maths.

Wavedancer said:
Wow, Laser sailing (and this Forum) is so educational for us Yankees ...:)

The best thing for training hiking muscles is obviously to go laser sailing... however if you're not able to get out there, I would recommend cycling for sure. Also Wall sits as you mentioned are pretty good. What I would like to point out that is extremely imortant however is your core strength... it would be silly to do only leg training and forget about your abs and lower back. Any kind of core training that covers all areas of your core will help tremendously with your hiking.

Back