Cracking the cockput lip

In 2002 I purchased a brand new boat. The first day out, I initiated a roll tack, grabbed the windward side of the cockpit under the lip to pull to pull myself up and heard a crack. It turns out that the boat was very weak where the deck rolls into the cockpit. The cockpit lip did not break off, but it is weak enough now that I must grab in the cockpit corner where it is stronger due to the geometry.

More recently, I have heard of several other people that have had the exact problem. This includes people that purchased boats from the Charleston Worlds. I wanted to reach out and see how common this issue is.

Thanks

I have a crack on the lip of the cockpit too. I have a 2003 Worlds boat which was not used in the worlds but straight out of the box. I know of other people with this problem too. I don't know what I'll do when it breaks completely off though and would be interested in hearing how people have re-enforced their cockpit lips.

When I can I'll take a picture of the crack and post it.

I had a 2005 boat and now a 2007 boat with that exact problem. The 2005 boat was repaired at the factory under warranty (as it happened after only a few days of use). They put a few strips of glass underneath the crack (from under the cockpit lip), and then sprayed some gelcoat on top. It was a clean fix.

My 2007 boat had the same problem after the same amount of sailing. It is at the factory right now getting fixed. I'll let you know what they do this time.

Andy

I got a new boat last year, and when I did my first hard roll tack in it, I heard the same crack. But when I looked I couldn't find anything. Since then I try to not pull myself up as much from the lip of the cockpit. From my experence, it is weaker then the older sunfish (the ones with the metal trim).

For a roll tack, I guess it would be better to grab the gunwale instead?

PS: I am glad this point was brought up; especially since I still need to practice those awesome, major, fantabulastic (and potentially illegal; rule 42) rolls...

For a roll tack, I guess it would be better to grab the gunwale instead?

PS: I am glad this point was brought up; especially since I still need to practice those awesome, major, fantabulastic (and potentially illegal; rule 42) rolls...

I don't think that my crack came from roll tacking since I don't do those. One day I'll learn though.

I had a 2005 boat and now a 2007 boat with that exact problem. The 2005 boat was repaired at the factory under warranty (as it happened after only a few days of use). They put a few strips of glass underneath the crack (from under the cockpit lip), and then sprayed some gelcoat on top. It was a clean fix.

My 2007 boat had the same problem after the same amount of sailing. It is at the factory right now getting fixed. I'll let you know what they do this time.

Andy

Just got my 2007 boat back from the factory. Same fix as last time. The crack was only on one side of the cockpit, but they also put 2 strips of glass underneath the other side. Probably a good preventative measure for anyone to do to a relatively new boat, and hopefully not have this problem.

Back