Covers

RandyBreen

Hi, im pretty new to laser sailing, well, sailboat ownership entirely actually, but anyway, i was wondering if its necessary to invest in spar covers and foil covers for traveling with the boat, thanks!

Hi, im pretty new to laser sailing, well, sailboat ownership entirely actually, but anyway, i was wondering if its necessary to invest in spar covers and foil covers for traveling with the boat, thanks!

I don't use spar covers to travel. Mine are strapped to the top of the vehicle in naked glory. They are stored inside the rest of the time though.

I have a padded blade bag for travel.

I use top and bottom covers when trailering the boat in the hopes of protecting the boat from road debris, recocheting rocks and the like. When I used to store my boat outside on its dolly, I used a top cover to protect it from tree sap, a problem at my club.

I have not bothered with spar bags but I also got a foil bag. I went for a foil bag more to carry the things around easier - it holds the C'board, rudder, tiller, sail battens and kicker (battens and kicker in a pocket on the side. It actually has something of a reflective metallic finish so I don't know if it might be designed to provide some protection against heat (e.g. when left in the car (its a PSE (UK) supplied one).

My boat is actually kept under cover in a barn where it can dry and be protected from frost, etc. so probably needs less protection that those living in a dingy park all year round.

Ian

a spar bag is kind of a luxury, but i do have one. it easier to carry all three at once and they're always in a secure place.

the blade bag is a must. the day you drop your board or rudder and it gets dinged, you'll be killing yourself for not putting out the $70-$120 or whatever. its money well spent, again to keep them all together is good too.

They are stored inside the rest of the time though.

is it bad for the spars to be left out on top of the boat?

Deimos said:
I went for a foil bag more to carry the things around easier - it holds the C'board, rudder, tiller, sail battens and kicker (battens and kicker in a pocket on the side. It actually has something of a reflective metallic finish so I don't know if it might be designed to provide some protection against heat (e.g. when left in the car (its a PSE (UK) supplied one).

that sounds great, what company makes that?

that sounds great, what company makes that?

I got mine at the same time as I got the boat from PSE (UK) - the UK builder. I did not look around for the best, cheapest, features but got it because I was there getting the boat and it works well. I'm sure some others have better features others worse features with a range of prices to suite.

Often with these sorts of accessories I thing you can spend ages hunting around, loads on delivery charges, etc. when the one from your stockist down the road will do the job fine.

Ian

Back