cover or tiller

hey having a bit of trouble.
what do you think i should spend my saved money on for my laser.

1.a Rooster hull and top cover
2. a carbon tiller from New Zealand

any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Depends on a number of factors:

Do you have a cover at the moment (old, but scruffy...)?
Do you travel much with the boat?
What's your current tiller like?

If you travel a lot, then over and under covers will help protect your boat which will be useful if it's newish - and with a 186xxx sail number I'm guessing it's quite new. On the other hand getting a good low profile tiller will definitely help your sailing by enabling you to get the traveller tighter, with less risk of the blocks catching on the tiller as they pass.. All other things being equal, I'd go for the tiller, but that's because I leave my boat on the beach all year and only transport it at the end and start of the season.

thats definetly made me think alot.
it is a brand new boat i have not even used it yet. it came with the XD carbon tiller from england which is very low but does not have the roller on it which was my main reason for looking at the kiwi tiller.
i travel abit now and then but otherwise it stays in the boat park.
it has a good cover but being in the Middle East the sun is very harmful and the Rooster cover is good quality and will hopefully protect the boat alot more.

Sounds like you have a pretty good tiller already, in which case you're going to be paying quite a bit of money purely to get the benefit of the roller. I've never sailed with one, I suspect they're good, but whether the roller itself is worth however much the Kiwi tiller costs I don't know.

I don't know if the Rooster cover provides better protection than the standard cover - others may well be able to comment here if they have experience.

Sounds to me like you already have a boat many of us would be only too glad to get hold of, and sunny weather to sail it in! You might like to save your money until you've been out a few times, by which time you'll discover any little niggles or problems that you'd like to change, and you'll have some cash available to resolve them.

JMHO....

the cover will go a long way at protecting from the evil UV... thus making your boat last longer.
your current tiller will still turn the boat.

my vote is for the cover

Cover, i once had the same decisionro make and i went with the cover cause you want to keep your boat looking good and not have to clean it all the time.

get the Colie covers, their the best

or the Rooster tiller with the roller, you can get them from APS

I say spend your money on beer! Your current cover is good so wait for it to wear out . You don't need to update the tiller.

thanks everyone i have also decided to get the cover to protect my boat and once i have used the tiller i have got i will decide weither it is worth getting the other tiller later
cheers everyone :D

Back