Could you use slinga on a trailer?

Catya

Somone on the dolly thread just linked to a parts list that has replacement slings for dollies. I'll be getting a hitch on my car tomorrow which means I can bring home the trailer I bought and will have to then make cradles before I try to take out my boat. My question, as you've gathered, is can one use slings to hold a 'fish on a trailer instead of a cradle? Or would there be too much motion?
--Catya
________
Toyota Wiki

Catya,

I think you will be better off to make cradles. Most cradles I have seen are lengthwise to support the hull under or outside of the foam blocks inside the hull. My cradles are 6" wide by 8' long , padded with foam and carpet, are 22" apart (inside edge to inside edge) are contoured to the curve of the hull. A bit of work, but I feel it was worth it.

On another dollie site (home made) they had to pad the sling with carpet to prevent wear on the hull (it flapped when towed and carried upside down on the hull). You would also have to rig some supports to hold the sling high enough to hold the hull clear of the trailer as you move the SF on and off. Your tie down straps, if you go with the sling, could be positioned to eliminate most motion.

|U| |\ /|
| | | |
|U|
(A) (B)

Ok I knew people controured cradles perpendicular to the road, very roughly like A.
but I didn't realize poeple contoured cradles parellel to the road: Do you mean like B?
(I hope they lined up ok....)
________
buy easy vape vaporizer

Catya,

Look at the photos I posted on June 30. The picture from the rear, lopsided "T" (labled Custom Bunks) is the end of the bunk and matches the "V" of the hull. The side view (with demensions) shows the bunk running fore and aft. I am creating a photo album at Sunfish Sailor with more detailed photos. As I make new bunks for trailor #2, I will take step by step photos and add them.

Oh THAT's where that picture went. I couldn't remember whose picture it was and when I looked in the photos section, it wasn't there. THanks for the reminder. Can you tell me how you've attacted the bunks to the ^ at the front part of the trailer? THere's a little orange in the photo where I'm talking about.
So you contour the length of the wood to match the hull, right?
["""""!!!!!~~~~___________~~~~!!!!!"""""]]

but do you also contuour the radius: |\
(By the way how DO you edit or eliminate a posting here???)
--Catya
________
volcano classic vaporizer

Catya,

That little bit orange near the front of the bunk is the front side light and has nothing to do with holding the bunk. That trailor has a rectangular frame (see picture) and the bunks are set in regular bunk brackets (about where the front tie down strap is in side view). The trailor in the background does not have the cross member and I will use "U" bolts (long square ones) with the plate through the 2 x 6. Not as neat or convienent, but will work.

Attachments

• IMG_0319a.jpg
    IMG_0319a.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 63
Hi Supercub,
I hope I'm not being too much of a pest--especially what with forgetting that you posted those photos and all. I only found one the first time, but a search got me your other 3 pictures. That clarified the contours questions.
What I couldn't quite see was whether the bunks are just suspended at the front? My square frame is about 4' long. I think you said to have the winch assembly thingy 8' from the axle. That leaves about 6' of boat in front of the square frame. if the bunks are 8" long and apx 2' dangle of the back, that could leave about 6' of 2" x 6"s dangling in front of the square frame. Do you tie them together with a cross brace or provide some other means of support, or do they just float for that part?

[4' | 3'7"]
[ | ] : > ====@==o
a------b---------c-----d
a= square frame
b= V frame
c= winch
d= ball receiver

Sorry if I'm being dense...
--Catya
________
ferrari wiki

Catya,

No problem with questions. My bunks are centered over the axle, 4' in front and rear, no cross members added. The bow of my SF is 4' +/- in front of the front edge of the bunk or 94" from the axle. You could move the bunks and winch back about 6" to adjust the balance, but keep in mind that you need about 10%+ (35-40 lbs) of total wieght on the hitch ball. I'll post some pictures soon. Mine has the spare up front and the jack and is about 65 lbs at the hitch ball. If I moved things back I could get the hitch weight down, but it tracks very well so I have not moved anything.

Back