Cottage Sailing Laser II Question

rubbish84

I have purchased a laser II for the first time and I have been sailing it at my cottage all summer.

I have a few questions regarding storage.

First, during the week, I leave the boat in my boat house suspended from the roof in a sling system. During the weekends, I have been taking the boat and placing it on my grass to rig and to leave while not being used on the weekend. Is this ok to do? Will it cause any damage to the hull to sit it on the grass? If not, what would you recommend I put it on while rigging? I have considered a dolly but it's not really useful to me because I don't have a ramp to launch from.
Which brings me to my second question. Is there anything that I should be using to get the boat into and out of the water over my concrete breakwall into the water?

My last question is in regards to winter storage. I am planning on keeping it my boat house over the winter which is protected from the snow but is not climate controlled. Is this a good idea or should I find another place for it? If it is safe to do this, do you have any tips that I should be aware of to make sure that I have no problems.

Thanks,

First, during the week, I leave the boat in my boat house suspended from the roof in a sling system.

The sling system should be fine...I'd recommend storing it upside down on the slings to avoid deforming the hull though.

During the weekends, I have been taking the boat and placing it on my grass to rig and to leave while not being used on the weekend. Is this ok to do? Will it cause any damage to the hull to sit it on the grass? If not, what would you recommend I put it on while rigging?

The grass should be fine...maybe some old carpet would be better. But how the heck do you get it from the grass to the water when it's fully rigged without a dolly?

Which brings me to my second question. Is there anything that I should be using to get the boat into and out of the water over my concrete breakwall into the water?

Ouch...how do you do it now? Maybe some sort of rollers bolted to the top of the wall would help?

My last question is in regards to winter storage. I am planning on keeping it my boat house over the winter which is protected from the snow but is not climate controlled. Is this a good idea or should I find another place for it? If it is safe to do this, do you have any tips that I should be aware of to make sure that I have no problems.

That should be fine too. It seems like common sense to make sure that the boat is dried out before it gets below freezing. I have stored my boat outside under my deck on the trailer with covers and a tarp on it with no ill effects. It's a Laser, not a Duesenberg.

Back