cost to "hot rod" a laser

blooztune

I'm looking at a couple lasers that look to have decent hulls, spars (straight) and blades (fair), but were used recreationally and don't have any of the go-fasts, which I assume is pretty much just the upgraded control lines (outhaul, cunningham, vang etc.) and maybe a non-wood tiller. I'm already budgeting a new sail and a good bit of time and elbow-grease for hull and blades. What I'm afraid of is missing something and ending up just paying the same or more than I would pay for a race-ready rig..

So, my question is: Do i need to budget more than a new sail, new controls (lines, blocks, cleats) and tiller or is that pretty much it?

Oh, and if that is just it, where's the best place to get said equipment? I'm leaning towards APS....

Thanks!

I'm looking at a couple lasers that look to have decent hulls, spars (straight) and blades (fair), but were used recreationally and don't have any of the go-fasts, which I assume is pretty much just the upgraded control lines (outhaul, cunningham, vang etc.) and maybe a non-wood tiller. I'm already budgeting a new sail and a good bit of time and elbow-grease for hull and blades. What I'm afraid of is missing something and ending up just paying the same or more than I would pay for a race-ready rig..

So, my question is: Do i need to budget more than a new sail, new controls (lines, blocks, cleats) and tiller or is that pretty much it?

Oh, and if that is just it, where's the best place to get said equipment? I'm leaning towards APS....

Thanks!

Where are you located? APS and Colie are great on the east coast. On the west coast, West Coast Sailing is excellent and offers free shipping.

Thanks for the replies.

I am a Northeast sailor and will probably go with APS or maybe support a more local dinghy shop (if the prices are reasonably close).

Thanks laserXD for the tips. I've learned from sailing other classes to not re-invent the wheel and just find out what the veterans are doing and copy that so I can just concentrate on learning the boat.

It won't cost much but it might be worth checking the traveller eyelets for wear, and rebedding all fittings if the sealant has gone bad if the boat is a few years old.

just did this with 3 Lasers, heres the skinny

New Vang $258
New Lines $30
New cleats and base plate for new style control lines $98
New Sail $545 or $600-650
New bailer $30

I personnaly would just find a tricked out boat for $2000 to $2500 and save yourself some expense.

I think powergroove has the right idea.
You can find pretty good deals on 90s vintage boats that have all the upgraded parts. A budget of 2500 will get you a very nice starter boat. It's not like the vang really wears out. Just think of it as buying all those parts at a "fair" value, rather than retail.

It will be a while before the boat is holding you back, if ever.

Ben

You can find pretty good deals on 90s vintage boats that have all the upgraded parts. A budget of 2500 will get you a very nice starter boat. It's not like the vang really wears out. Just think of it as buying all those parts at a "fair" value, rather than retail.

Ben
I agree!

Ben

Yeah, that's what I was thinking and the reason I posted this thread. I'll probably go that route.

Thanks all for the advice, folks. Hopefully I'll see you out on the water (and afterwards at the keg ;-)

Back