Cool Boat Alert

The comparatively huge size of the centerboards suggest "too much leeway"—and that you would be correct.
I wasn't thinking of the look of the Catfish as such. Rather the boat, with its bulky hulls, looked like it would be pretty slow for a cat. It turns out that its 'speed rating' is about the same as that of a Sunfish.

Portsmouth numbers
Catfish = 97
Sunfish = 100
Hobie 14 =86

BTW there are some old threads on the Catfish on this Forum
http://sailingforums.com/threads/alcort-catfish.15467/#post-80685

I am new to this sailing stuff when it comes to racing. I looked at the Portsmouth website, which still leaves me confused! :)

So for example, given the numbers above, if all three boats crossed the finish line at exactly the same time, which boat would be considered faster/the winner?

Thanks

I am new to this sailing stuff when it comes to racing. I looked at the Portsmouth website, which still leaves me confused! :)

So for example, given the numbers above, if all three boats crossed the finish line at exactly the same time, which boat would be considered faster/the winner?

Thanks
The Sunfish would be the winner.

PS: The lower the (Portsmouth handicap) number, the faster the boat (when sailed by equally competent sailors, etc.)

Back