Conversion to New Style Bailer - Is the Hole the Same Size

Thread starter #1
I just got an older Sunfish with the metal bailer. There is no plug in the bailer and the thread size is obviously not a standard size for my local hardware store. Since it doesn't have the ball seal incorporated into it, I am looking to just convert it to the new style to facilitate draining while underway.

Is the installation hole for the new assembly the same size as the old metal housing's hole? I don't want to wrestle this thing out only to find out I don't have the right sized hole for the new assembly. It appears to be in there fairly well also. Luckily, the metal ring that holds it in place is already gone but it appears to have some epoxy keeping it in place. Any tricks to getting it out?

Louis Herndon

The new plastic bailer is a direct replacement for the old metal bailer, same size hole. The ball just floated against the bottom of the screw in plug, no washer assembly like the new bailer. The thread size for the plug is 7/8" x 14 with straight sides and are hard to find (see Yahoo Sunfish Sailor, search for bailer plug). Also see in the SF Talk section, this forum, Topic "Metal Bailer" from the past couple of days.

You say the retaining nut is gone? (see picture in the metal bailer post). The bailer should just fall out with a little wiggling. If not, support the area around the bailer outside and tap it gently with a block of wood and hammer from the inside (my brothers was pretty stubborn). If that does not move the bailer, try unscrewing it from the bottom. Tapping and unscrewing will usually work and are the best ways. LAST RESORT and NOT RECCOMENDED if you are not sure of your abilities. If you can not unscew the bailer, is VERY CAREFULL heating of the metal body with a torch (use a shield to protect the fiberglass) should soften the epoxy enough to remove the old bailer.
Another BE CAREFUL method would be to use a Dremel tool to cut the metal and pull off piece by piece, but avoid cutting the fiberglass of the through hull hole.