Confused about powerpacks

Galette

Jus confused about this powerpack thing, I need one but dont really have the money for the Harken powerpack, then I saw that my nearest parts dealer has Allen Holt powerpacks which are much cheaper, why so? Is the Allen one not class legal anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Allen one is class legal as long as it is 'builder supplied' (i.e. has the Laser stamp on it).

It is widely held to be an inferior solution to the Harken one but both get the job done. I know people who prefer the Holt over the Harken.

Don't know of there is anything on the part itself, but it would definitely say "laser class approved" all over the packaging. I think someone here said LP stopped offering the Allen equipment as "builder supplied", but Allen kept selling the parts themselves.

At risk of earning the ire of some contributers here, I will suggest this. Just go ahead and buy the Allen equipment. No one will know the difference.

oh forgot to ask, where should that laser stamp be?
If memory serves, there will be the word Laser and the starburst symbol on the vang plate , the metal plate that holds the two blocks at the base of the mast/deck, and also on the plastic piece that holds the two cam cleats.

Laser Performance's UK website had the Allen Vang on special offer about a month ago, but another supplier told me they were selling off the stock and that would be then end of it. Just checked and LP UK now only have the Harken kit, so maybe there is truth in this.

I bought both Allen kits, ie the Vang and the Cunningham/Outhaul kits and have been very pleased with both. Yes the vang looks twisted, but that is not slowing the boat down anywhere near as much as my inexperience or lack of fitness. I just couldn't bring myself to pay twice the price for Harken and if I had, then it would have almost doubled the cost of my old boat.

The upgrade from the standard kit is immense, and although I've not used the Harken I'd be surprised if it was twice as good, but different people have different views on this sort of thing.

If the cost is a concern, then go for the Allen equipment if you can still find it. For me, it has been great fun learning to use new controls that I previously ignored on the basis that they were too awkward to adjust.

Thank you for the answers, my local store sells the allen powerpack so I'll go with that, maybe I like the better anyway, shouldn't be a huge difference.

Back