complete hull # translation

Jack

Sorry, I know this has been posted a billion times, but Dr Laser's site is not working and searching the forum threads has not answered all of my questions.
The number on my transom is ZIS86213M80D
So, if I am not mistaken, that means that ZIS was the builder (from what I could find on the net a jon boat builder in Vacouver, BC). 86213 is the sail number? (my original rig was lost and replaced with a used one from another boat).
The last part is the part I am having trouble with. Is it a 1980 boat? And what do the letters stand for?
Thanks,
any help is appreciated.
-Jack

Nowadays, the system uses a letter to stand for the month it was built (A=Jan B=Feb C=Mar...) followed by the last digit of the year it was made followed by the last two digits of the model year.

For example, my boat's last four characters read: D404 meaning it was built in April, 2004 for the 2004 model year.

Earlier Lasers however didn't always follow this code and some belong to an unknown code such as my previous Laser 1223 and Laser 13055.

Usually you can make some sence out of what they mean but this one is hard. For this Laser, if letters are representing numbers, it would read 13-8-0-4 and that makes no sence. I think you'll just have to guess it was made or is a model 1980.

Back