compass uses

sailor327

at regattas i have seen many of the top racers using compasses and i want to know what they can be used for and how they can help you.

Sam,
Most of the top racers use compasses. For the following reasons. Shifts, Median wind, Mark Headings, Line settings, Favored end, Finding your way home in the fog.

It is really easy to figure out if you are being lifted or headed. As well as the high, low and median wind directions. When you come around the leeward mark you know immediatly if you are on the right tack. It also allows you to notice the smaller shifts. If you sail in an area with tide or current you remove the drift associated with the tide so you can see the shifts easier. Point your bow down the line you now have a line site as well as the heading and back bearing. Point your bow into the wind. You now have a wind direction. Now compare the headings. Is the line square? Is one end closer to the wind? By how much? (Eg. Wind 90deg, Line bearings are 0deg and 180deg = Square line)

Here is a question. If you are sailing into shore (towards shallower water) to get out of an adverse tide how will your compass heading change in a constant breeze (I know highly unlikely) Will it appear as a lift or a header or stay the same?

The problem with a compass is many athletes use them too soon. By this I mean race with them. The idea is to be able to "get your head out of the boat". By adding a compass you will focus tend to focus back into the boat or not even use the compass. You need to train with the new equipment until you can use it properly (with out it interfering with the rest of your sailing).

It is late I am tired. Hope my math was good?? See ya on the water tomorrow. :)

Also with me I live on the hudson so alot of the tide books arent exact. Here the tide change close to shore first so to check if there is a drift just get a bearing on a land point and sail straight. If you dont end up facing the same point and never changed course then you are drifting. The same move can also find backeddies.

Tides will almost always change in shallow water first, its a simple principle of physics, several tons of water is alot easier to move then several hundred tons.
As to the use of a compass, I have always raced with one, and a grease pencil (common tool used on large ships) this allows me to make notes on either side of my daggerboard trunk, normally I keep track of a few things, wind direction every five minutes before the start (need compass), bearing to first mark, starting line heading, current predictions, course types, and most important, which boats seem to always be ahead of me, that way I know who I have to try and beat. I also include any other observations that may be of use.

Back