Color Code or Matching Color - 1971 Green

nav4111

My son and I are restoring a 1971 white on green trim sunfish.
The back side (non-gel coat) of the coaming had wax and sealer imbedded in the fiberglass weave. We (I) discovered that acetone does great at removing white hazing from waxing, however unfortunatly it does a more efficient job of removing paint from the fiberglass weave.

Looking to repaint the back side of the green coaming. Any suggestions on paint type? Anyone know the best matching green color? Dark hunter green appear to look close, from the computer screen. Any recommendations?

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 52
Nice boat! Both Home Depot and Lowes have big rainbow assortments of spray paints suitable for this type of work. If you could perhaps take in the tiniest chip of paint from the splashrail to the store hopefully you’d get a close match. Personally I recall green sunfish being brighter than hunter, but it’s been awhile since seeing one of that vintage.

That’s a beauty. I think the green/white with the green cockpit is my favorite classic Sunfish look. I would hesitate to remove the coaming to paint it, only because I’ve done it and it was a major pain to put back on. I’d just use painter’s tape and newspaper to mask around it and Rustoleum Marine paint with a small foam brush. Their green may be darker, though... as Beldar recommends, any color chip you can bring to the hardware store would help. In my area they sell Rustoleum, but not Marine, so I order it online. Cheap and very good paint!

Back