Colie Racing performance upgrade instructions

mommymoppet

I just became a Laser owner and I am very excited to get started. My Laser came with upgrades for all the rigging (a "Colie Racing" performance upgrade) as well as instructions on how to put them together. Since I've never done this before, could anyone tell me how thorough these instructions are? Are they clear enough for a novice? Can they be followed without someone's help? Are there other resources I should find before getting started? If so, what are they?

Also, I've come across something called a "purchase" that comes with a ratio. The Outhaul purchase has a 6:1 purchase and the traveler has a 2:1 purchase. What does this mean?

Thank you in advance for helping me to get my boat ready for sailing!!

Also, I've come across something called a "purchase" that comes with a ratio. The Outhaul purchase has a 6:1 purchase and the traveler has a 2:1 purchase. What does this mean?

That is the ratio of turning points, 2, too control lines, 1. The higher the first number the easier it is to pull the line. That is the basics of what it means. I don't remember how it is all set up when you get more complicated systems, but a ratio of 4:1 is harder to use than a ratio of say, 12:1. A ratio of 1:1 on your outhaul is like you tying a line to the clue and pulling.

I have the Colie MOJO package, and the instructions were clear enough for me, only upgrade package I would ever consider getting. You can just look at the pics, those are good enough.

Purchase:

If the purchase is 2:1, when you pull on the rope you only pull half of the weight, but you have to pull the control line 2 times as far. So for example if you were pulling a load of 1 pound, with the 2:1 purchase you would be pulling half a pound, but to move the 1 pound one inch you would hav to pull the control line 2 inches.
The same goes for 4:1 and 12:1 etc where the number infront is how easy and far you have to pull.

Back