Cold Water Safety

DaveM

Charlabud #623
The water temp in Lake Grapevine (TX) is in the low to mid 60's right now. I am concerned that if I were to capsize as I did this summer I could be in trouble from hypothermia. Is there special gear and/or other precautions I should consider or just wait till it gets warmer?

You might want to consider a wet suit, perhaps just the jacket. While 60°F water feels pretty cold, you should be OK for the few minutes it takes to get the Capri rightside up. If she turtles, then it is a bit tougher and takes longer; a line secured to the mast base or forward hiking strap helps. This line isn't necessary if she just capsizes. A Baby Bob mast float will absolutely prevent our boats from turtling. I strongly recommend it.

I would also recommend that you get something to help get yourself back in the boat. If you have ever practiced capsize recovery with a Capri, you'll know that it is relatively easy to set right; however, the real trick is hauling yourself back in. There are lots of things in the transom area to get in the way -- for me, my PFD keeps getting snagged. If you have a crew (I often sail solo), then use the scoop recovery to get the crew in and have them drag you on board over the transom by grabbing your PFD straps at the shoulders.

Make a rope ladder and tie it to the rear hiking strap eyebolt. Mine is made out of 3 - 12" sections of PVC (1") and about 10' of line each side. The other idea is to mount a real boarding ladder.

Back