Cockpit Question

deantbrown

I have a 1990 Capri 14.2 and it has a bungie cord up at the front near the storage area.

The bungie in held in place by two holes on each side of the cockpit that appears to have a knot holding the cord in place. Hope I've described this enough.

The cord was so old and worn out, I cut it off. The result was the the knotted ends "inside" the seat fell into the inner portion of the seat and I now seem to have two holes I feel I should plug with something.

Does anyone know what this original bungie was for and, now that I have cut if off, are these holes a problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

The bungee holds up the hiking straps so that you can get your feet under them easily. It probably isn't a big deal if your straps are very tight or if you don't hike. I was going to remove the bungee in my boat since it block the cubby door. However, when the wind picks up, I’d rather hike and hang on than furl and go slow. I use the straps frequently when sailing, so I left the cord in. If you don't hike, then don't worry about the bungee. As far as filling the holes, they are above the water line when the boat is on its side, so you really don't need to fill them. You might look for something that would work as a cap so that if you ever want to use them in the future, you won't have the drill out the holes.

Bungee

When my old bungee wore out I simply cut it off and filled the holes with silicon. Now I hold up my hiking straps with a bungee cord, the kind with a hook on each end. I simply loop it around the mast and hook the ends to the hiking straps. It works better than the old one, but I have to unhook it to open the cuddy door.

Back