Clew Tie Down - yeah right!

Hi there, I had to borrow a boat last time out and took extra care rigging up, or so I thought. Alas, the velcro clew strap became detached, just a few minutes before the start. It was impossible to fix so i decided to get on with it (er - without it, if u know what i mean!) Not a bad start but went backwards and backwards. Can any one help with a couple of questions:
  • Is there a way to fix a detached clew tie-down/ strap on the water in a bit of breeze (capsize the boat?)
  • Short of retiring, how could you adapt your trim, controls etc. to mitigate the problem? As you can quess, upwind sailing was the major casualty. Downwind didnt seem so bad, but I think it was slower than otherwise.Wind was about 15 kts and shifty.
Thanks (hopefully this will never happen again, but there is probably soemthing to learn)

The harder the wind is blowing, the harder it is to deal with stuff at the end of the boom (clew tie-down, outhaul line etc)

Best way is to have a support boat, crash boat or RC boat hold you into the wind while you fix it. Next best is to have another sailor hold you - sail up to leeward, other sailor holds your boat while you fix.

You can re-attach the clew strap by yourself, but it has to done quickly - vang off, outhaul extra tight (which helps pull the clew down to the boom) and then stick the boat into the wind and work fast. This will be next to impossible if it's a clew tie down in hvy air, I've haven't seen too many people able to tie knots before the boat falls away from head to wind. In that case, I think you need to go for a swim.

Not having the clew down on the boom really only affects your pointing ability when you are two-blocked. There are plenty of newbies out there sailing around with the clew tied down and doing just fine... It shouldn't be an issue downwind, you can compensate by having a little more vang on. I wouldn't let it be a reason to retire from the race...[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[--Del---]
I've haven't seen too many people able to tie knots before the boat falls away from head to wind. In that case, I think you need to go for a swim.

[--Del---]
[/quote]

May the Harken 433 Dinghy Clew Hook is a solution? Then there's no need for knots anymore. I have no exp. with this hook. Anybody has?
I windy conditions I simply capsize the boat, attach the stuff on the end of the boom and rightend the boat. Ok, it's not very elegant...

The Harken hook has to be tied or strapped to the boom, so whether you tie thru the hook itself or thru the sail and use the hook for just the outhaul connection, you still have to use a tie/strap...

The new class approved fitting should help with this problem though if you are tired of lines or straps...

what i have found to work best when thre is no support boat and there is a bit of breeze is to crank on a dam lot of vang so when tacking slowly the boat will get caught in irons and if u can act quick enoufgh u can sometimes get stuff done. its not easy tho

what i have found to work best when thre is no support boat and there is a bit of breeze is to crank on a dam lot of vang so when tacking slowly the boat will get caught in irons and if u can act quick enoufgh u can sometimes get stuff done. its not easy tho

I had my clew fall off of the clew hook in the summer inexplicably after using it for a year with no problems. It was only like 10 knots but it still took me 10 minutes to put on. I have a strap and it has never come off.

What shackle are you using? I use a shackle with a slotted pin, that is easier then a threaded pin. May a snap shackle works even easier?

When capsizing I have always found the Laser has a tendency to turn turtle quite quickly. Does this give you time to re-tie the clew tie down or have I always been unlucky with gravity.

Ian

either shackle works for me cause u only do it up on land. just make sure its tight enough to the sail so u can crank on as much outhaul as needed

I go for the capsize route,swim around to the boom,if the boats head to wind,you've long enougth before she'll turtle to sort it out,only takes a few seconds.

Wafoo said:
I go for the capsize route,swim around to the boom,if the boats head to wind,you've long enougth before she'll turtle to sort it out,only takes a few seconds.

Agree, I keep doing it the capsize way. About the turtle, I use to sail in shallow waters (Holland) so I have a small round buoy in my mast to prevent turtling.

Never tried it in big breaze but undo the vang, stand on the back of the boat and raise the boom as high as you can. The boat doesn't turn very hard at all and it gives you plenty of time to tie the knot you need.

er173716 said:
Never tried it in big breaze but undo the vang, stand on the back of the boat and raise the boom as high as you can. The boat doesn't turn very hard at all and it gives you plenty of time to tie the knot you need.

Ok, will do below 3bf. But the fun of Lasersailing is sailing with 4bf or more...

you can tie the clew tie down by taking off vang completly, standing on back of the boat and raising the boom, Ive done it in 15 knots at KP but i had someone hold my bow, under about 10 i stand on the back with vang off and sail dead down wind, steer with my feet and retie it fine.

[searched the threads and found this thread to ask this...]
I got myself one of those velcro clew straps, but it came off after a 1-hour race last weekend. Basically, I'm not 100% sure I've attached the velcro strap to the boom properly. I reverted to a short length of rope as my clew tie down.

My nOOB question is... is there a photo or diagram out there somehow as to how to connect a Laser Velcro Clew Strap to the boom and then to the sail?

Back