Class legal sails vs. after-market

Class legal sails vs. after market. What's your opinion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CoachK

The controversy over class-leagl vs. after-market rages on so I am running an informal poll for my upcoming centerof effort post on the topic. Please take a moment to give me your thoughts on the subject.
Thanks!
Coach K.

I've switched to after market sales for club racing and am saving my legal sails for traveling regattas.

Coach K; with all due respect, your poll isn't set up right. Many of us have adopted Merrily's approach. Just for my fleet (of about 40), about 50%

Thanks for your comment. Other polls I've posted - Facebook Laser D7 page and Laser sailing page have this option.

It's kind of all of the above. They're cheap and poorly made, most people sail with after-market at club event, and they save their class-legal sails for big regattas.

It's kind of all of the above. They're cheap and poorly made, most people sail with after-market at club event, and they save their class-legal sails for big regattas.
It's my impression from reading a lot of posts on this Forum (and elsewhere) that the majority of Laser sailors will disagree with the Torrid's statement that practice sails are 'cheap and poorly made'.

Somewhat as an aside, but relevant to the ongoing discussion, I listened to an interview (on Dutch TV) with Marit Bouwmeester, one of the favorites at the Olympics in the Radial class. Her sail, part of the provided equipment, looked bad around the tack. She complained and got another one.
So much for One Design, a topic that Gouvernail loves to address...

http://content.nos.nl/data/image/xl/2012/04/27/367328.jpg

I thought he meant that it was the class legal sails that were poorly made!

That's what I meant. The class legal sail is cheap in quality, big on price.

I own an Intensity sail, and I'm quite happy with it. If I could legally race with it, I probably would.

You can get 2.5 after-market sails for the price of one class sail, so unless you need to use a class sail, why would you buy one? There's enough evidence in this forum to say the after-market sails last longer and sail just as well.

Hi Guys, I have an old Laser which I have been doing up over the past couple of years the sail is one of the final steps before I start racing next year, this forum if of interest to me as I am unsure what direction to go in.

At the moment, I have no intention of racing outside of my club, my current standard sail is beyond useable, don't get me wrong it moves the boat, but it just doesn't feel right if you know what I mean :), therefore new sail is required, my club do not required race legal sails, I have noticed a couple of your have mention Intensity sails, I saw these at a very reasonable price the other day including shipping to the UK, a lot cheaper than other after market sails.

My question is are the Intensity a good buy, and are they competitive, I have not raced before, therefore I don't know how competitive I will be so reluctant to buy a Laser Race Legal sail.

Mattwhi, have a look at the previous post by plinford. IMHO that sums it up pretty well.

I sail recreational only, no racing, but I've used Intensity sails for 10 years and have found them to be very good sails and very good value for money -- durable, well built, and can't discern differences in cut or speed vs "class legal."

If nothing else, one approach that might make sense is to start with an economical Intensity or other aftermarket sail to limit your cash outlay. Later, if for whatever reason you find that you want or need a legal sail, you can always get one at that time. You'll most likely still use the aftermarket sail most of the time, to keep your expensive class-legal sail fresh for those increasingly-rare occasions when you really need one.

Hi Guys, I have an old Laser which I have been doing up over the past couple of years the sail is one of the final steps before I start racing next year, this forum if of interest to me as I am unsure what direction to go in.

At the moment, I have no intention of racing outside of my club, my current standard sail is beyond useable, don't get me wrong it moves the boat, but it just doesn't feel right if you know what I mean :), therefore new sail is required, my club do not required race legal sails, I have noticed a couple of your have mention Intensity sails, I saw these at a very reasonable price the other day including shipping to the UK, a lot cheaper than other after market sails.

My question is are the Intensity a good buy, and are they competitive, I have not raced before, therefore I don't know how competitive I will be so reluctant to buy a Laser Race Legal sail.

To me, this is the biggest problem with the over-priced class-legal sail. It serves as a barrier for bringing new people into the class. They find a good deal on a older boat, get it up and runing, but need a new sail. WHOA! A new sail costs almost as much as I paid for the boat!

But to answer your question, definitely buy the Intensity. You'll be much more competitive with it than some rag with the stitching coming out of the seams.

Many thanks to your responses, torrid, your absolutely spot on, it does limit people, unfortunately i'm no longer in a position to go blow £3-4k on a new boat, having to buy bits at a time when I have cash available, the sail has been one of those items i keep cringing every time i look at the price. If I was successfully competitive and started racing in Opens and Nationals then freeing up the extra cash would be possible, but, wife and baby on the way says no at the moment!:).

Thanks again and Intensity will have an order soon!

Hey Mattwhi! If you are in the UK you can get replica sails here. Try Rooster Sailing [£160] Maldon Sailboats [£165]. Does Intensity still beat them with shipping?

Back