Clam Cleat

Sunfish Man

I was wondering if a clam cleat for my sunfish would be a good buy or if there is something else that will keep my line from going through the sail (my knots are bad). Thanks:confused:

I was wondering if a clam cleat for my sunfish would be a good buy or if there is something else that will keep my line from going through the sail (my knots are bad). Thanks:confused:
When you say, "going through the sail" I take that to mean you are loosing your grip on the mainsheet and it's slipping through the blocks (pulleys) on the boom. Definitely a frustrating experience.

A clam (jam) cleat could help, a cam cleat might be better, but cleats pose their own hazard. A line captured in a cleat doesn't run and let out the sail. You have to be on your toes to release the line or you could get blown over.

You might just start off by puting a "fairlead" on deck. And then using an easy stopper knot to prevent loosing the line all the way out through the blocks.

If you can tie a Granny Knot
sh1hlf1.gif

you can tie this one...
it's a Granny with one more twist.

sh2hlf2.gif

Here it is animated
http://www.animatedknots.com/stopperrescue/index.php

In small diameter line, like string or cord, this knot can be difficult to untie after its been stressed,

BUT, in larger line it comes undone easier than the popular
Butterfly Knot,

sh181.gif

even when it's wet.​

... all you need to do is pull apart the two loops.

Attachments

• Dbl Overhand Stopper.jpg
    Dbl Overhand Stopper.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 29
There are many who say never use a cleat but I always liked having one because I race and recreationally sail and use it for both
For each individual's sailing style, finding the appropriate time to use a cleat is a self correcting learning process.

Irregardless of having a cleat, tying in a stopper knot at the end of the mainsheet saves on much embarrassment. Nothing like being next weeks YouTube highlight.

Back