Circular Spider cracks on bottom of hull

occasional-user

Hey folks. Just found this forum and have really appreciated the wide variety of information out there....

I own a 1980 Alcort Sunfish that I use a couple times a year. Overall, it's in great shape. Not sure of the weight, but 2 guys can easily carry it around so i assuming that it's not water logged.

I purchased the boat a couple years ago and, while it's in good shape, it has a number of circular spider cracks in the gelcoat from landing the boat on the beach.

Here's my question: Based on the frequency of my use of this boat, do I need to fix these spider cracks? Will they allow water the penetrate into the hull and eventually waterlog the boat? I have used Marine-Tex to patch a couple of larger gouges, but didn't think the cracks were a big deal....just wanted to get a 2nd opinion....

Thanks!

KC

occasional-user said:
I purchased the boat a couple years ago and, while it's in good shape, it has a number of circular spider cracks in the gelcoat from landing the boat on the beach.
KC

Circular spiders are friendly creatures and should be protected. They do a great job of catching and eating circular flies.

If the boat is stored out of the water and is drained after use the spider cracks won't really do anything.
It's problem if the boat is moored as the crack can allow water to weep into the gelcoat and can damage.
Best advise: add a port so you can really dry out the hull and go sailing.

Back