chartering a laser

americano528

I'm hunting down a laser and I've come across a seller who used the fact that you can charter a laser as a selling point...

This got me thinking... maybe I should spend $4k+ on a laser instead of the $2-3k i had intended so that it's something that can win races and I can charter out with no problem!

I live in Greenwich, CT, where the youth laser champs are being held as I type. Long Island, Connecticut and Providence, Boston etc. are all within 2 hours of me so I think I'm in a "prime chartering location."

So my questions are How easy is it to charter a boat? How often? How much do you get? How formal/informal is the charter? In general, do people not take care of charter boats or are they as careful with them as their own? How can I protect myself against damages?

Thanks guys!

A case that I know of is that someone was going to buy a new boat, but a regatta was coming up so they chartered their boat. They made some extra money before selling it to buy their new one.

So you're just going to hand over your new(ish) laser to some yo yo to abuse in exchange for a few bucks?

I guess it could go well for you - but I'd never do that. It'll at the very least come back with more dings and scratches in it every time you rent it out - and it could come back with much worse.

So you're just going to hand over your new(ish) laser to some yo yo to abuse in exchange for a few bucks?

I guess it could go well for you - but I'd never do that. It'll at the very least come back with more dings and scratches in it every time you rent it out - and it could come back with much worse.

You're basically reinstating each and every one of the questions I had :confused: and you haven't responded to any of them:rolleyes:... Thanks, but this comment isn't helpful at all

Kaiser stated that your idea isn't worth pursuing. I agree.

Opportunities to charter a Laser are relatively few. In the past, LaserPerformance has provided (new) boats for certain 'big' events :). Of course, I don't know if in the current business climate they will continue to do so. In addition, there are sailing shops that offer charters for certain events. For instance, I have read that one company will bring a whole bunch to certain regattas.

But to reemphasize what Kaiser wrote, the risk just isn't worth it for an individual approach, unless you 'charter' your boat to somebody you fully trust.

Back