Changing to racing sail

I got all my new parts out last night and began changing to the racing sail.
As usual I didnt get far as every walker by stopped to talk about sailing heh heh. But I did get the stock sail off and the new one on. Tonight I will mount the clam cleats and run rest of lines. I can see just by raising the sail the fuller look that it has. Nice having a window also. My old fingers are sore today from squeezing all those sail clips. First local race is this weekend but I will miss it due to other duties. But very anxious to try this sail out.

Eric mechanicsburg Pa

Eric, one lesson learned the hard way is to ALWAYS loosen the outhauls when finished sailing and putting it away. I ruined a 1 month old racing sail by leaving the cunninghqam and outhaul tight from a high wind day of sailing for several weeks. Stretched that puppy out and I went from the front of the fleet to the back until I replaced it.

Thanks Mike
I did have a question. How loose should I have the upper tip of sail so that the Cunningham can loosen and tighten. ? Not sure if Im wording that right? I am seeing that the Outhaul does more actual movement than the cunningham? Is that about right? I did get everything done last night. Clam cleats installed and better stand up block for main sheet.
Thanks
eric mechanicsburg Pa

It's a matter of sailing style. For me I leave the uphaul fairly loose so the luff scallops in light air which seems to give me more power and allows me to pinch higher and use the cunningham to tighten/straighten out the luff as the wind picks up.

Rich
I sail at Gifford Pinchot State Park and Codorus State Park in pa.
Pinchot is about 15 miles from me and Codorus about 40.
let me know when you are coming.
Eric Pa

Back