CFJ sails for Capri14?

avro

Still have the original sails and they are a becomming an embarassment. Otherise, boat is in very nice shape and a great for single-handing.
Checked the dimensions of CFJ sails. Main indicates same luff and leech, just 10" shorter on the foot. Jib is just slightly smaller. (14.2 uses larger sails than the Omega14?).
Appears the CFJ employes "rope" tracks on mast and boom, so that should be a match.

Many racing CFJs around, and suspect many racers buy new sails for the race season.
Thus, Minnies often list sets at very attractive prices.

Appreciate any experience or ecomments.
Gregg
Morro Bay

This last season I bought and sailed a North jib made for a Snipe; the luff, leach, foot for the Snipe is 12.4, 11.5, and 6.5. It worked beautifully, much better than my factory jib. The Snipe jib also has a cunningham, so you can adjust sail shape without messing with jib halyard tension.

The CFJ jib is 12.5, 11.5, 6.2, so it should feel very similar to the Snipe. For reference, Catalina lists our jib as 13.7, 12.7, 7.9 (luff, leach, foot).

I recently purchased a North mainsail made for a Vangard 15. I have yet to put it on; it comes with a leach line cleat and a full length adjustable top batten. Its dimensions are 17.1, 18.3, 7.7 (Catalina original mainsail is 17.1, 18.4, 8.4). The CFJ lists as 15.8, 17.7, 7.7 for reference.

Again, the CFJ main should work for you, although you may need to adjust your boom gooseneck position to obtain the maximum use of this main.

-- Ed

alternate sails

Ed,
Thanks for the reply. The CFJ sails ought to work........just a few inches smaller on the foot.
Also, watched a very cute UTUBE on rigging a CFJ and appears the boom attachment and outhaul are identical to that on the Omega.
Just checking sail sizes and found the specified sails for the Omega14 (what i have) are a good bit smaller than the Capri 14.2. (maybe that is why the 14.2s use spreaders?)
According to the spec sheet for the Omega
main: 15'9", 17'2", 8'8"
jib: 13'2", 12'2", 6'8"
Also, the goosneck height is fully adjustable on the Omega. Believe it is fixed on the 14.2.

Gregg

I forgot you said you are sailing an Omega 14. The CFJ sails will be even better then.

The Capri 14 gooseneck is also adjustable; I just ordered and received a fitting from Catalina Direct to convert my boat to a fixed gooseneck however. I'll let you all know how it goes next Season in May. I just got too worried about those slides loosening at inappropriate times.

-- Ed

Back