Centerboard rigging

cbaum

I have a 1981 that I just put a new centerboard in. Before I drill holes, I am wondering if anyone has a rigging setup that they are particularly proud of. The rig I have uses a block attached to the mast step with a line going from the board forward to the block and then back to a jam cleat on the port side about a foot forward of the barney post. The line is attached to the centerboard with an eye strap. I use a bungee on the same eye strap to connect to the loop on the jam cleat to hold the CB down. I have a picture of Greg Coat's setup which appears to use two blocks attached to the cuddy (my boat does not have a cuddy), one on each side with lines running aft. His has a block on the centerboard which means he gets a 2:1 mechanical advantage when raising the board. Also, his rig allows adjusting the board easily from either side of the boat. My board comes up easily enough that I wouldn't think the added complication of a rig like his would be worth it. If anyone has pictures or description of what they have done, I would be greatly appreciative. You can send pictures to [email protected] or post them to this site if such is possible. Thanks for any help, written or photographic. Chris Baum

Centerboard setup

I removed the port/starboard lines from the centerboard and used the existing hardware foreward to run a 9' line aft. I mounted a small cam cleat on the barney post and left the bungee where it was. To raise the board, I just pull up on the line, then pull the slack through the cam cleat. This allows me to raise the board by reaching over the CB slot to tug on the line, releasing is just tugging the line out of the cleat. Oh, and I used a fairlead on the cam to keep the line in place, and a large knot at the end to keep it from pulling through the fairlead.

Centerboard rig

Thanks for the help. I understand everything except if you meant to say "burgee". Did you mean bungee? If you meant burgee, could you explain what that is? Thanks again. Chris Baum

Back