Carbon tiller

LPW

Hi
I recently got a laser which has a carbon tiller. There seems to be no method of attatching the tiller to the rudder stock (ie. there is no space for the retaining pin to go.)
THe fit between the tiler and stock is reasonably tight, should i just rely on this to keep the tiller in, in case of an inversion?

Do any of you guys have views on this??
I just dont want to loose the tiller as it seems to be rather expensive!

Many thanks
Liam

If its tight like jammed in and needs much force and work to get it out then I wouldn't worry about it. If it easily pulls out when the rudder tie down is uncleated you can drill a hole into the tiller through the existing hole in the top of the rudderhead to put a pin in.

I too have just bought a Carbon tiller. Mine is from Rooster and has a single button instead of a cleat. A simple loop (bowline) in the rudder downall at the correct length can be placed over the button and this seems to keep everything nice and tight.

Regards PC

if you drill a hole in the top beware because sometimes the hole becomes bigger from wear. think about reenforcing it

Thanks everyone, I think ill try making the downall tighter first, before I think about drilling a hole.
On another note, my boat also has a mega bolt on the rudder, and is extremely hard to raise the rudder when coming ashore.
Would it be alright to slightly loosen the bolt???

The bolt issue - if you are a hardcore racer who sails a lot in breeze, cranking on the pivot bolt with the rudder in the full down position helps ensure that's where the blade stays all day. A little less tight, so that the rudder stays up when it's on the dolly, but requires you to push it down or lift it up by hand seems about right for the other 90% of us.

Back