carbon extension repair

stick

i used the search section already, because i remember this topic coming up before.

What is recommended repair for an Acme fatso extension that has had a section of the end broken? Approx 4 to 5 inches from the end of my extension got caught and bent back causing
a break. it still has half of the 'skin' attached so it is not separated. I am not a whiz with the west systems and other glassing operations. I would prefer to send it to someone or even have Acme repair it? Have others had this problem, if so what did you do?
thanks

There are a number of ways to repair it.

The easiest, but most expensive is with an Acme repair kit...

Next easiest is a few wraps of 'glass and epoxy around the break on the outside. Not hard to do, even if you have never attempted it before...

If you really feel uncomfortable about doing it yourself, you might want to check in with some of your fellow sailors locally, someone there most likely will have some expierence with epoxy and repairs... or a local small boat dealer.

If you really want to send it off to someone, send me a PM

i checked on the ACME site, but i thought the Repair Kit was only for a universal replacement.
are you saying that the kit can be modified or used to repair a break?

If i go the glass wrap and epoxy route - can those materials be had at West Marine or equivalent? Would i need to insert a dowel into the extension for substrate and then lay on epoxy, apply cloth, then epoxy some more. I can probably handle that.

Humm. I thought I remember seeing an internal splice kit being offered, but I don't see it on the Acme site or APS site.. And no, the repair kit with the uni is not what I had in mind.

Anyway, yup you can pick up the glass and epoxy at West Marine or any decent ship's store.

From my interpretation of how it's broken, it sounded like it was not actually in two pieces, and you could literally line up the smaller section and glass around on the outside, let it harden while sitting on some wax paper and call it a done.

From start to finsh:
For the glass - I would use either 4" or 6" wide tape 1 Yard will be plenty. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10104&subdeptNum=10296&classNum=11071

They also have carbon fiber if you feel like spending more $

1. Lightly sand the outside the extension where you are going to apply the glass and resin with 80 grit, measure to find out approx how much of the 1 yard of tape you need to get 3 complete wraps.
2. "paint" on a coat of epoxy on the two broken sections wide enough to allow for the width of the tape + 1" either side
3. wet out the glass with a chip brush. You can do this on a flat surface, with wax paper underneath. You are looking to wet it out, but not drown it.
4. wrap the glass around the broken section (with just a little tension), get the extension , lay it on some wax paper and let it cure.

You shouldn't need to insert a dowel on the inside if my mental image is correct - if you do indeed have two separate pieces, then yes, I dowel on the inside to hold it straight would be a fine way to go, but I would remove it once the repair has cured..

If your woodshaping skills are better then your glass skills, you can also repair it from the inside only, by shaping a dowel to fit snugly to the section (The Fatso jr is oval, the Fatso is almost round).

You would need a piece approx 4" long, shaped for a snug fit (it should slide in, without being forced), sand the inside of the tube (There is sometimes some left over release paper that needs to be completely remove or else the epoxy will not bond to the carbon), wipe out the dust and then liberally coat the inside of the tube and the complete dowel (including the ends) with epoxy and fit it back together.

Back