Carbon Extension cutoff

Ive recently decided that i am going to cut my carbon fibre tiller extension off a bit, it was about 130cm and ive decided to cut it down to around 120, or about 48" as it keeps getting in the way with this new way that i tack and my new boardbag has a nice spot to hold slightly shorter tiller extensions. Anyways i figure im just to use a hacksaw to do the job, but i began to wonder if i might have to do somthing else to the carbon while or after i cut it? i was wondering if anyone had any experience in this area.

Just becarefull not to delaminate it. I would cut the handle end over the tiller end. Use the finest toothed blade you can find. A 'wiz=wheel' would be best.

Mullet Time! said:
Ive recently decided that i am going to cut my carbon fibre tiller extension off a bit, it was about 130cm and ive decided to cut it down to around 120, or about 48" as it keeps getting in the way with this new way that i tack and my new boardbag has a nice spot to hold slightly shorter tiller extensions. Anyways i figure im just to use a hacksaw to do the job, but i began to wonder if i might have to do somthing else to the carbon while or after i cut it? i was wondering if anyone had any experience in this area.

You might think about tightly inserting a wooden dowel into the hollow recess of the extension.

Last year I cut down my mountain bike's hollow carbon fiber seat tube. As I cut through the hollow center of the seat tube, the innermost portion of the carbon fiber started to delaminate.

If I would have had a wooden dowel at the cut point it would have prevented the delamination...

Alternatively you could always just take it off and replace it with a telescopic one. That what I did on my boat and therefore I always have a spare in case I need it.

Yeah well i chopped it off good, there didnt appear to be any delaminations or anything, just a smooth clean cut. i did sand the end off a touch tho, just to smoothen it out. thanks everyone for your help!

-------------------------------------

Wheat Kings Suck!

Back