Car topping - racks

spidervmd

Hello everyone,

I am looking to car top my laser on my new subaru outback- in fact that is the reason I bought the car in the first place:) I am about to purchase the roof rack equipment. What size cross bars should I buy? I would like to get the boat on the roof as well as the spars.

also, Nautical America (Kitty Hawk Trailers) now has a foam pad like the spar partners, that fit onto the rectangular racks to hold your spars.

Spar holders for spars on racks, while the boat is on the racks too.

That explanation leaves a little to be desired I think....hmmmm

I know with Thule you typically buy an adapter kit to fit a specific car, but then get generic racks to fit your need. Get the widest racks you can find. I currently have 64" racks that are wide enough for the boat, but not really wide enough for spars. I think they make a 72" size.

For the boat and spars, my dad just bought the Thule roof rack system with 64 inch bars, however, there isnt enough room on those racks for the lower section of the mast so i would have gone with the 72 inch bars, but whats done is done. Furthermore, when you for pads etc. get about 10 feet of Air Conditioning Insulation Hose, its a black hose-about 3 inches in circumfrence- and it has a ruber outside lining. Put that on the rack first, then get a two pool noodles and put it over the insulation on the rack. Also, for carrying for the spars, just put down the insulation, not the noodle, and use a rubber bungee or shock cord to secure it to the roof rack. The two rubber surfaces allow for NO slidding of spars. Also, this syster will save you lots of money of APS or Tackleshack pads and i personally think it works better. Good luck!

Brendan

Back