Cape Hatteras

northwind

Planning a trip next April to Cape Hatteras with a group of windsurfers. Not being a windsurfer myself, I will be taking the Laser down. I was just wondering if anyone has experience/comments about sailing in the Sound near the town of Waves. I know it can be shallow due to shifting sand and such. However, with the winds typical blowing hard, it could be a lot of fun.

Also, can someone provide a measurement of the depth of the mast hole in the deck. Mine has been ground to a pulp after the previous owner did not replace the lower mast bottom plug. The edge of the mast section tube was exposed and with a little sand from their beach has made a mess of the bottom of the step.

I'm not likely going to replace the mast step anytime soon. The boat is old, was bought cheap and its main purpose is to use in teasching the kids to sail.

Thanks.

northwind;

I've been going to that area amost every year for 12 years or so to windsurf. Usually we go in early to middle May. The winds are still good then and the house rentals are still inexpensive. Also, it's starting to warm up nicely.

We usually sail off Avon on the sound side or at Canadian Hole (a few miles south of Avon. I've sailed a lot in the Waves area also.

Not only are there sandbars, but it's very weedy. We use weed fins which are slanted back about 45 degrees or so. When it's windy, the weeds get stirred-up to some degree by the waves and float around. I suspect that your Laser dagger board and rudder will snag a lot of weeds. You could raise them to clear the weeds occasionally.

We find this location to be excellent for windsurfing. It remains less than 5 feed deep way out from shore. The waves are limited by the shallowness and the weedy bottom. The sandbars can be located fairly soon in a sailing session and thereafter avoided. The sandbars are usually weed free and therefore easily seen as you approach them.

The best winds have a western component. Winds having an eastern component are gusty and turbulent.

Have fun . . .

Back