cant replace hiking strap?!!

Nora171010

Ive been trying to replace my hiking strap for some time now, and when i finally got everything togeether, i found out that the mounting plate had been 5200 in place. I tried using a normal screwdriver and a drill to get the screws out, but all i managed in doing was strip the screw. Is there anyother way to replace my strap? maybe use a dremel and grind away the mounting plate and screws? any help at all would be great!!!

My guess is the stuck screws have nothing to do with 5200 . 5200 is just a very strong rubbery substance. You can coat a screw withg 5200 and back it out with some brutal twisting any time you please.

The strap is something you can cut with a sharp knife ;;;;like a Stanley 199 or 399.

The plastic piece that goes betwen the eye strap and the strap is also plastic.

You can repeatedly stroke across the plastic and the strap and get both out of the way.

You could cut either or both with a sharp chisel.

With the plastic and webbing removed, the eye strap will drop a quarter inch and you wuill have plenty of room to CAREFULLY extract the screw with Vice Grips.

DO NOT FLEX the shaft of the screws. if you flex the shafts, you will break the screws and have stubs in the holes.

If the above is not crystal clear and you feel the sllghtest conmcern about getting it right.

DON"T DO IT!!!

And decent mechanic can nurse those screws out and accomplish the task for you in a few minutes.

You might mention "You could cut away the plastic and webbing so you can get Vice Grips on the screw."

But here is the deal. If you bust those screws you will have to put an access port in your boat, move the fastener holes slightly foreword or back and through bolt the replacement strap.

Screwing up will turn the 10 minute easy fix into three hours, more parts, a permanent hole in your boat with a lid that gets lost easily and usually leaks or breaks, and who knows how many more trips to the store .

Put somebody out for a few minutes. But your favorite helper lunch or something. The savings are difficult to even imagine.

I was just thinking to drill 'em out and put in bolts - but then I've got an inspection port right there already...

The problem with drilling them out is, while drilling, the fasteners will almost certainly get very very hot. The plastic will burn out of the laminate and, assuming you get the fire put out, an access port and bolts will be the only remaining ioption.

I'd still prolly use the screw extractor... the heat generated by drilling the small hole in the middle of the screw shouldn't be significant enough to melt much beyond butter. I hadnt used one before until a few months ago when I broke the head off a 1/4"x4" lag screw when installing cabinets... I was amazed by how easily the 4" screw came out...

My wife actually had success with removing a stripped phillips screw by using a new (sharp) square drive bit chucked in a drill...

Back