Can you use a wooden daggerboard and rudder for racing?

Thank you! would it be acceptable to use an old style rudder?

Anything that is an original Sunfish part can be used, except I don't think you can use the 3 loop bridle. We could race our 1953 boat "Zip" if we wanted, in fact it is the only one we have that is class legal :)

The old style rudder fittings need to be in great shape or the rudder can pop out of the keel latch plate. And the newer rudders and daggerboards perform much better because they are larger and have a better shape.

Anything that is an original Sunfish part can be used, except I don't think you can use the 3 loop bridle. We could race our 1953 boat "Zip" if we wanted, in fact it is the only one we have that is class legal :)

The old style rudder fittings need to be in great shape or the rudder can pop out of the keel latch plate. And the newer rudders and daggerboards perform much better because they are larger and have a better shape.
Thank you for the information I appreciate it!

except I don't think you can use the 3 loop bridle.
The 3 loop bridle is legal as long as it is one from the builder. The only illegal bridle are the rope ones that the mfr used for a few years, and that the sailors were permitted to make as well.

You can race with wooden blades, but against decent competition with the plastic centerboard, you will not be competitive. As long as your wooden rudder does not pop up while you are racing it does not make as much difference as long as it is not the ancient elephant ear style. Starting in 1971 or so they switched to the current shape. The plastic rudders are the same dimension as the 1971 and later verions, but they are much lower maintenance and are a bit thicker - approaching the max permitted under the rules. But I would not worry about the rudder much - it is the centerboard that makes the difference.

In a race between a boat with a non-race sail and the new board and a boat with a race sail and the old board, the boat with the new board will win. BB

Back