Can you buy just a hull?

marvin-miller

Arrrr...
Well, can you? :D

Seriously, I was thinking the other day, wouldn't it be nice if you could just buy a new hull and transfer your rigging to the new hull?

Speaking of new hulls, how close are they to 200 000? Would be cool to own it hey?? Kind of like y2k for Laser's.

pre chartered boats can be bought from big regattas as just a hull for a pretty reasonable price...

And after seeing Laser Worlds, I would never, ever purchase one of those boats.

Or, if I did, I would inspect it very, very closely.

They don't offer enough of a price drop to make up for the hard use and bent spars.

Does anyone know what a new bare hull usually goes for?
I'm just curious....

Performance Sailcraft Australia advertise bare hull's for
AUD $5,660.00. That works out to $4890.80 US.

Just had a quick look on Laser Performance North America, they didn't advertise hulls only? Sure you could get them but.

Wow - that's a lot for a bare hull. At that price it's way better to just buy a complete boat. The pricing seems dispraportionate to me. I was thinking it would be roughly half price or so.

I guess I'm going to keep going on repairing my hull and once it get's too far gone (or too time consuming) it's new boat time.

I was thinking of doing the vang/outhaul upgrades (it's an '82) and then later just transferring that stuff to a new hull but at that price it's not the path to choose.

Oh well, my deck still looks like new :D I've also got a new sail so I'm still good to go. It's just that today I noticed that one spot on the hull has cracks from flexing. That got me to thinking about fixing it which is what led me to question the cost of a new hull.

I think a new hull should cost 3K tops - agreed? :)

And after seeing Laser Worlds, I would never, ever purchase one of those boats.

Or, if I did, I would inspect it very, very closely.

They don't offer enough of a price drop to make up for the hard use and bent spars.

Youch! I just did :eek:

The price drop is roughly equivalent to buying a local boat that's been used for 1-2 complete local seasons; tough duty when the local sailing is here on SF Bay.

I do get to inspect it after it gets here and the local dealer will repair any performance-affecting or major-cosmetic damage. I also get the right to decline the boat after inspecting it.

Back