Can this be repaired?

Breeze Bender

Breeze Bender
Yes, my latest Sunfish came with a galvanized trailer and that got me home- but I live very close by! The back right corner is in bad shape. Can this be safely welded? Any idea what that might cost? It also needs new tires, bunks, lights and wiring. Is this worth the cost of repairing or should I offer it up for free? The boat needs a little work then will be listed for sale. Always easier to sell with a trailer, but this one might not be worth the hassle.
8774E95C-4836-444E-BD34-54F07E5E78B7.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F691978-0D8E-44D3-8B9F-BE1FF93D1DE0.jpeg
    7F691978-0D8E-44D3-8B9F-BE1FF93D1DE0.jpeg
    974.9 KB · Views: 70
I do not think the piece of channel is solid enough to be welded. For a budget repair I would overlay the end channel with a piece of larger channel and extend to cover the frame rail and drill and thru bolt . Probably a 12"- 18" piece would be long enough. That should be enough to keep the trailer frame together.

Thanks LAWilliams and L&VW, that sounds like good advice. I do have a galvanized mounting post, not sure if that will fit or how I would cut it but I’ll check it out.

Cut the cross bar off just forward of the weld, grab a piece of tube to match, weld on, paint/coat/galvanize, something, profit.

Just make sure you vent well and wear a respirator when welding, galvanized can wreck your head.

If length matters weld the new cross bar to the end of the rails, if length doesn’t matter, weld between if you want.

Agree w/ Corprin, one needs to avoid zinc fumes when welding.
I also thought about cutting those last couple inches off to remove the old welds.
Find a piece of rectangular tube that works with the current bunk mounts, cut to fit between rails, grind off zinc under weld area, weld in, drill for bunk mounts, paint, replace mounts.
The new piece could also be made to bolt onto the rails instead of being welded to them.
This would be a two-beverage job at my place...first one while we scratch our heads and figure out what to do and the second one after the work is done.

Agree w/ Corprin, one needs to avoid zinc fumes when welding.
I also thought about cutting those last couple inches off to remove the old welds.
Find a piece of rectangular tube that works with the current bunk mounts, cut to fit between rails, grind off zinc under weld area, weld in, drill for bunk mounts, paint, replace mounts.
The new piece could also be made to bolt onto the rails instead of being welded to them.
This would be a two-beverage job at my place...first one while we scratch our heads and figure out what to do and the second one after the work is done.

I see you also have a case of friendwithwelderitis.

Before I did anything I'd go over that trailer with a fine tooth comb and add up the cost of any other parts needed. Take a good look at the axle, springs and ubolts/nuts. We always put on new tires unless you can find the WWYY code on the sidewall, and they should be less than 6 years old.

Keep in mind those box frame trailers rust from the inside out, same with box axles, so a small rust spot on the inside could be a big spot inside.

New trailers are expensive now, around double what they were before panflation pricing. I'm not sure about parts. etrailer.com is a good source if you don't have a local trailer shop.

We spent $695 to fix this trailer, and broke even. That's a lot of free labor.

BUD Trailer before.JPG

Made money on the boat though. Check out the keel roller hole in front of the coaming.

Rosebud carwash.JPG

BUD on restored trailer.jpg

Is that the same boat? And same trailer? WOW, SC you really know how to transform a frog into a prince! If I saw those two for free I think I’d have passed on them but you’ve got great vision. And skill!

You’re right about my latest trailer. It needs just about everything. I think I’d end up putting much more into it than it’s worth. And I don’t have the skill or the tools to make a proper repair to the frame. There are decent trailers on craigslist and FB Marketplace, and the best deals include big ugly rotten boats on them for “FREE”! If I had a town dump that took more than just brush I’d probably be a regular there. I’d have a yard full of trailers and the dump would be full of boats!

The hard part on the trailers is busting off the old rusty bits and finding new bits that fit the spring brackets, the right size axle, breaker bar for lug nuts etc...In your case you need a welder.

I'll be honest, I'd be uncomfortable selling a welded repair trailer to someone unless I had high confidence in the welder, and they were familiar with boat trailers. We've replaced every component of a trailer except for the frame and I mean EVERY component, along the lines of Theseus Ship's Trailer or "My Grandfather's Trailer.

As for the boat and trailer we restored, we got "Rosebud" in 2014ish from a lady who had sailed her since new, 1968. The nice lady had to go into assisted living and hadn't sailed for some time, and Rosebud was stored next to her home in Perdido Beach, Alabama. A hurricane came through, Rosebud was stored deck down on the trailer and the wind gusts lifted the boat and dropped it back down on the keel roller. One spar was slightly bent, the sail was dry rotted, rudder and daggerboard were crusty but okay overall. We worked a deal for $200 IF we took the trailer.

BUD MADISON formation.JPG

Screwed the deck to a backer patch and then filled screw holes after patch dried. Good news, we could replace backer blocks while the deck was open.

BUD thickened epoxy.jpg

One thing I miss about the part of Florida that we lived in, Scrappers. We could put anything out by the State Road we lived on and it would disappear. I wasn't even halfway back up the driveway after dollying the axle out to the curb when a rusty truck swerved over to pick it up. I think they'd been watching us for days. Of course the bad part was that the "Holley Boys" as we called them, draft dodgers and real pirates, took other things that weren't scrap!

We were lucky to have Eddie nearby, of Eddie English Boat Trailers nearby. He built four custom trailers for us and repaired several more. Here's Audrey and Eddie with "Her Grandfather's Trailer," the only original parts are the box frame and fenders.

Eddie Audrey 2.JPG

Since we're talking trailers, when I was dating Audrey her Dad was greasing bearings one day when I came over to pick her up. We got to chatting and he showed me how to do the first one. Guess who finished up? Then the first time we took out the trailer in the photo, the first rusty fender dropped off on the slimy boat ramp. Guess who retrieved it, ungracefully, and replaced it? Next time out, the other fender went. Did I mention leaf springs? I am 100 percent sure that had I not passed the Trailer Repair test, Audrey would not have married me. Also didn't hurt that I had a tow vehicle and she didn't.

Skipper and Capn Jack. Note the lack of bearing grease on their hands...

Jack and Audrey Onkahye.JPG

I have several small boat trailers on an inland Michigan lake. There is a Pop & Son weld shop nearby. Drive the trailer to them and get it done right.

I’m a looong way from Michigan. My original question asked what a welding shop might cost, but with all the other work this trailer needs I think the costs would outweigh the worth. I have two other trailers that are great- solid, tuned and registered. My intention was to repair and sell this one that came with the Sunfish I just bought. Now I’m thinking it’s just taking up space. But the boat will be a good flip!

I’m sure your can find a local welder. Just look look for the guy with a hockey beard and few teeth. He’s probably the best.
I rebuilt three trailers last year. I found it less cost to replace the tire and wheel altogether than to mount new rubber. New winches too. Locally, Blaine’s Farm & Fleet or Tractor Supply. They also have low prices on LED lighting replacements. Total costs around 5-10% of new trailers. We are all fresh water here so painted steel is OK.

Repair here would be about $100 US. Includes the steel. DIY paint

Working on my Tornado the last couple days. Plywood box repaired, painted, glass bottom, new tire & wheel. Total about $120. The trailer was built 1965.

Attachments

• IMG_4162.jpeg
    IMG_4162.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4163.jpeg
    IMG_4163.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4164.jpeg
    IMG_4164.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8746.jpeg
    IMG_8746.jpeg