Cam Cleat For Mainsheet... Or Not!!!

Windjammer

Hello everybody,

Him new in the Laser Community. Since I live in Québec,Canada and that the season is pretty short here I’ve just began my sailing season.

My question is; should I use the cam cleat for the mainsheet or not? And if not, than what is the better way to get the maximum speed on retracting the mainsheet when tacking?

Hope it's not to mutch of a beginner question!!!:confused:

i used mine when i was a newb but i found it caused me alot of hastle so i learnt to use both hands while helming (fairly straight)

but why u need to get it in while tacking?

I use it to put the tension right after the tack. I find it mutch faster than to use both hands like you said, but I also had some problems on having the rope getting stock in the cleat in a moment where it should not happend.

But I think maybe it's better to use both hands like you say. I'll probably removed my hold ones this weekend and try to get the most of my ratchet.

By the way, what kind of ratchet do you recommend, automatic or manual?

Thanks

I use a manual ratchet. I've used automatic and they're good, if you already have one or the other, use it.

When I first started out sailing I used to use a cleat while sailing, then I capsized in a race all due to me not being able to uncleat the main in time, after that I've never once cleated my main and probably won't ever do it again.

Cleats=NO. Alls they do is drill into my you know what, and I barely ever use them. If you don't have them don't add them. I prefer the auto ratchet because it is one less thing you have to worry about when you are out sailing.

No need to drill holes. Put the cleat ON the block itself. I have done this for the last 2 decades. Not a problem for me.

http://www.laserforum.org/anyone-use-mainsheet-ratchet-t6242.html?p=30926#post30926

I've tried that on my thistle and found it just gets in the way and is an overall huge hassle. The main just keeps wrapping itself around.

But if you get it so you have to work to cleat the main (as in you have to use your foot to cleat it) then its fine. But if its set up to cleat as you pull the main, then your going to run into huge problems.

Not only no but hell no to the cleats, when you throwed into the drink
a couple of times you learn quick.

I read this recently
Lasers sailors don't let other laser sailors cleat

Windjammer.jpg

Well I think I get the point!!!!

No cleat, and more training.

By the way, has anyone ever did a complete gel coat reapplication? I'm trying to find info. but everybody seems to talk about paint. I don't want the boat to look what it is not, I just want it to be protected and be able to buff it, wax it and keep it fast.

I just got a second Laser for my girlfriend and when I've washed it, the fiberglass pigments were appearing.

Thanks to you all,

View attachment 2300
---snip---
By the way, has anyone ever did a complete gel coat reapplication? I'm trying to find info. but everybody seems to talk about paint. I don't want the boat to look what it is not, I just want it to be protected and be able to buff it, wax it and keep it fast.

I just got a second Laser for my girlfriend and when I've washed it, the fiberglass pigments were appearing.

Thanks to you all,

First thing is to see if you can revive the existing gel coat - read Gouv's how to (Make your bottom pretty which is linked in the following thread which you probably want to read all the way thru)
http://www.laserforum.org/sanding-mile-scratches-t8034.html?t=8034&highlight=make+bottom+pretty

Gelcoat is heavier than paint by quite a bit. You can open quite a can of worms by spraying gelcoat on it again without taking all the old gel off. If a laser was so old that the glass was showing through, i don't think i would go through the trouble, just sand and paint with good interlux. Its easier and will look good for a long time. What no one wants is an old boat that weighs too much. Personally I'd leave well enough alone.

Boat number is ZFSA3457M720, I think it's a '72. No wonder there is no more gelcoat!!!!! My '81 is far from having this problem. I all aspect it's almost new but this one looks like it has been used a lot.

What kind of paint would you use. What kind of thikness does it has? Can you buff it after???

www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

http://www.laserforum.org/do-paint-my-hull-t6141.html?t=6141&highlight=painting+laser

two good resources right here. never done it to a laser myself, only bigger boats like J24 and Santana 20. Interlux Perfection is supposed to be the answer for long lasting shine. Again, its pretty new and i haven't used it myself. I used brightside, which is still shiny on the cabintop of my parents' 43' yawl. If you follow INterlux's instructions and reccomendations you will get it done right. (interlux is the top link)

Hello everybody,

Him new in the Laser Community. Since I live in Québec,Canada and that the season is pretty short here I’ve just began my sailing season.

My question is; should I use the cam cleat for the mainsheet or not? And if not, than what is the better way to get the maximum speed on retracting the mainsheet when tacking?

Hope it's not to mutch of a beginner question!!!:confused:
for me you can't use the cam cleat because is very
inconvenient...

Back