Buying new Laser

After 25 years in my original Laser I plan to buy new. Any advice out there would be very much appreciated. Are all new boats the same? If not, do you get what you get? My local dealer claims to make very little on new boats and won't haggle from their list of $5300 (with delivery). Advice?
Thank you.

All new boats are supposed to be identical. That's the premise of the Laser class. The only difference that you might find is if some joker puts
the old style rigging on it, but I can't imagine. Make sure you've got the "Pro" rigging. There are also different grades of tillers and extensions that you might be able to work in the deal. My Laser dealer wouldn't haggle either (I knew nothing then), but he did throw in a sailing book when I asked as the transaction was going through. I seem to remember that there's a dealer in Florida who works out of a warehouse who gives a discount. Hey Florida people, does this still exist?

Thanks. I've got the pro rigging on my old boat so I figure I'l move it over istead of paying for it again. I'm trying to get them to throw in a dolly or cover but I doubt I get them there. Seems they've only got 2 colors, light blue or red...hmmmm.

When Vanguard owned the company, they were offering a fall deal worth between $400-500 where they would throw in a dolly or covers or other chit..

Summer is not the best time to buy as dealers are still expecting walk in, lay down customers willing to pay full retail.

Event boats are another option - these are as the name implies, new boats that have been used in one or two events aka charter boats. You won't be able to deduct the full charter fee from the price of the boat to arrive at selling price, but close to it... Not all dealers end up with event boats, but worth calling around and looking for them. For sure there will be event boats after the Oly. Trials are done.

exactly what 49208 said...

don't know where you are (I'm sure H'port means something), but the dealers here (TX) are very forthcoming about when the deals happen. Autumn is definitely the time to buy if you can wait.
In stead of moving everything over from the old boat, why not flog old faithful to a young fellow/gal as a starter boat...?
food for thought

I'm in MA. Considered waiting until the fall but then she won't get sailed until next year. And it will we a new season with new hobies to distract. I'll sell the old boat but don't expect I'll get enough to want to throw in the pro gear. It's in pretty tough shape...but as comfy as an old sofa to sale.

Fair enough...
I forget that things get cold & solid there.
Luckily we can sail pretty much year 'round here.

cheers

I was told something today that I thought would interest readers. My local dealer told me it's a bad idea to buy a non-pro rigged Laser as Vanguard pro-rigs their "better" boats and reserves the heavier or otherwise imperfect hulls for the non-pro optioned versions. I doubt there is truly this much variability in their production and it's mre likely a salesmans line. But I thought i'd pass it along anyway. Thanks to the group for the advice.

Do yourself a favor and call Vanguard directly and ask them the same question, but phrase it in such a way that you don't reveal that the dealer said that. Something like "Other then the rigging, is there any difference between the pro and standard model, specifically in the hull"

If they come back and say no, I would then ask them "I heard thru a friend that the hulls on the standard were heavier/imperfect - any truth to that"

My gut says your dealer is just trying to upsell you.

For example some dealers let you pick out your hull/spars (ie some people want to weigh hulls, measure rake and weigh spars ) so the dealer doesn't control which package goes with which hull...

Back