Buying a Used Boat

BillyH

Hey,
I'm just looking to get into Laser sailing, and I'm looking at a few used boats. What sort of things should I be looking for besides the obvious like hole in the boat, trashed sail, sort of things.

Just do a search and you'll find a couple of good guides specifically for Laser's. Basically mast steps, soft spots in the hull, etc. Keep in mind most are easily fixed for a few $ and some elbow grease.

-try to arrange to sail the boat, windier the better. Gives you a chance to check out how all the controls work and whether the boat is responsive (if you have some laser experience) how the sail looks under load, whether the cockpit stays dry, how stiff the floor and deck are, whether any of the fittings or rivets are about to blow out.
-afterwards pull the drain plug and check to see how dry (or not!) the boat stays inside
-if there are inspection port(s) have a look inside, check especially around the mast step area
-if no inspection port near the mast step, install the lower section of the mast and push and pull on it while a couple of people hold the boat. Look for any freedom of movement as a bad sign. Fill the gap with water while you are doing this and verify that no water is lost inside the boat. Have a good look in the mast tube with a flash light too. If it is filthy with aluminum residue, wash it first using rag taped to a stick or something.
-check the spars for straightness, corrosion. The foils for finish, wear, any warping.
-look for 'spider' cracks around the deck and cockpit. Lots of these plus hull or deck softness plus chips and cracks around the edge of the boat indicate its been sailed hard and/or not very well cared for.
-carefully check the finish of the hull. Push on it to check for stiffness.
-weigh the boat. 135 lb is very good. 150 lb not so good.
-verify the age by checking the serial number on the stern.
-extras like a trailer, a seitech dolly, carbon tiller/extension, quality compass, modern rigging, top and bottom covers can save you a lot of money later.

Most of what I've described can be dealt with, repairs are pretty straightforward. But you should be able to negotiate a better price.

Back