Buying a Sunfish - new/used/racing?

Royal

I'm in the market for a used Sunfish. I don't have tons of cash so I started looking for cheaper/older boats. The more I look, the more I am considering just buying one brand new - even if it means I have save up a bit more.

Another consideration I have is that I am super interested in racing. It's been a long time since I sailed, but it I can see myself getting into it. If I decide to buy a new boat, would it be silly to opt for the racing rig even though I've never raced? Would it be a better idea to re-acquaint myself with a recreational sail and upgrade later?

If I can find a good stiff hull for cheap I'll go that route, but there's not a big market where I live. I know that each situation is different but I'm curious about what others would do in my situation. I appreciate any thoughts.

I'm in the market for a used Sunfish. I don't have tons of cash so I started looking for cheaper/older boats. The more I look, the more I am considering just buying one brand new - even if it means I have save up a bit more.

Another consideration I have is that I am super interested in racing. It's been a long time since I sailed, but it I can see myself getting into it. If I decide to buy a new boat, would it be silly to opt for the racing rig even though I've never raced? Would it be a better idea to re-acquaint myself with a recreational sail and upgrade later?

If I can find a good stiff hull for cheap I'll go that route, but there's not a big market where I live. I know that each situation is different but I'm curious about what others would do in my situation. I appreciate any thoughts.
Shop intently by actually going to look at the boats in the ads and being prepared to buy on the spot should you find a cream puff deal.

With becoming re-acquainted to sailing and a desire to get involved in racing as your primary goal, the cost/benefit threshold for getting on the water rises. The market shows people with newer boats in better shape are still hanging on to them. That’s a tough market so also get some “Boat Wanted” notices posted. Got any sailing clubs or Sunfish fleets in the vicinity. You might just find someone ready to move into a new boat who'd take the plunge if they have a ready buyer for their current boat.

Something else I recommend…, sharpen your shopping awareness by reviewing the Sunfish Racing Rule Book and reading through the current setup manual so you know when you come across extras that are beneficial toward your goal.

Should you go all out and get a new boat, I believe there's a cost benefit to buying the "Pro" setup rather than upgrading the Standard model later. Don't worry about the doodads you aren't familiar with, set up by the standard method and work into the more advanced featuers as your skill level increases.

Back