Bung repair

TomM

I have a 73 Laser missing the plugs for the bilge and hull void (photos attached). Are these available, and are they a specific type? The hull fitting seems pretty worn, I'm wondering if the fitting should be replaced and if that's available. Also, the bilge hole doesn't even seem to have any fitting for a plug... is that typical?

I am a fresh water boater, no ocean racing for me....

Thanks..

Attachments

• Bilge.jpg
    Bilge.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 69
  • HullVoid.jpg
    HullVoid.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 52
Tom,
The bilge hole in the cockpit, should have a "cockpit bushing assembly,brass" It looks like you may want to look underneath
and pull the auto bailer out and inspect and or replace I don't see
the rod sticking out. Go to James Freedman sailing look in google,
he has a nice blog on the auto bailer. The boat drain plug just
replace it it looks like rivits? Go to annapolis performance sailing
under one designs then laser. You can find everything there or
go to intensitysails.com both are great and ship fast.
Mike

Hmm.. there isn't anything resembling an 'auto' anything .. in fact, in the bilge photo, what you are seeing through the drain is the ground underneath the boat.... nothing there at all!!!

The early boats did not use a bushing in the cockpit - I would highly recommend installing the current brass one http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d288000/e286442.asp

Otherwise, you need to make sure you still have a good cockpit/hull seal at the joint - if it's split apart, you'll need to clean it up between the two and rejoin it with 3M 5200 or some epoxy.

For the cockpit drain plug, you can get an appro size tapered rubber plug from the local hardware store, by the overpriced Laser one, or buy a nice bottle of wine, drink it and shave the cork to fit.

As mentioned above, replacing the transom drain plug is a good idea, the old 1/4 turn plugs did not seal all that well as they aged, the new style use a rubber gasket. These are fairly easy to install, you may have to enlarge the hole in the hull with a file, but that's the hardest part of the install

49208, thanks for the reply, I didn't think of the rubber plug from
hardware store. Do you use the bailer mine just tore up so I
just removed it and siliconed the screw hole for now.

Back