Bubble in deck

M-323

Hi

I noticed a bubble in my deck. At first I was going to open it up with a grinder, fill it and close it.

but someone told me about a product that will "displace" any moisture and dry solid - apparently its injectable saving lots of time.

but do you think I can find the product? NADDA!

I tried Google - maybe someone here knows?

best, M/

Boathouse wrote:
Unfortunately the core of a laser deck is foam and not wood so I don't think the product will work....

My other sailboat is a Hobie. It has a similar glass/foam/glass sandwich construction. Hobie's tend to delaminate in an area (right in front of the pylons) that is structurally important. So it is necessary to fix delam in that area.

Their official recommendation is to use a product called GitRot. It's resin and hardener that is formulated for addressing rotten wood in boats. It sounds very similar to the product M-323 suggested.

Of course I don't know how compatible either product is with the laser, but it could work. Hobie and Laser likely use different resins and foams.

I would only perform this repair if it is really necessary. The repair will add some weight (the foam can soak up the resin), and will likely be quite brittle. The repaired area can crack. I consider this type of repair to be a delaying action, rather than a true fix.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/delam.html

Back