Bruises

firsttube

I have a laser 2 which I sail with my dad. He skips and I crew. This is our second season sailing laser 2. I seem to get bashed up pretty good on my knees and arms. And especially my outside thighs where they rub against or smash into the shrouds.

Is this a usual phenomenon for crew on a laser 2?

what can I do to minimize these bruises?
thanks

Is this from teabagging, slipping off the gunwale, or a specific LAser 2 lack of space in cockpit problem? Is there sandpaper tape along your gunwales where you use the trap? Do you need more practice to build the muscles in your thigh to stop you flying fwds when you hook up?

I don't think it is a space problem, or slipping off the gunwales. I do have sandpaper tape on the gunwales, and I don't often fly forwards when I hook in.

Usually I hit the shrouds when I'm out on the trap, or going out on the trap, and we hit a big wave, or the boat turns suddenly to windward and then back on course, and my momentum causes me to swing forward. I was going to look into putting some kind of foam rubber tubing on the shrouds, just about 18 inches. But I was not sure if this was in "best practices".

My knees get bashed when I come in off the trap quickly, unhook, and then kneel down to avoid the boom coming across.

Does anyone wear any kind of padding or protection to protect from these kinds of things, or will it just go away with experience?

thanks

It's been awhile since I've been in a trapeze but I think if you're hitting the shrouds when you're out on the trap you might want to try keeping your aft leg bent slightly so you can absorb some of the bounces and waves without swinging forward into the shroud. Also make sure your feet aren't too close together. A good illustration of this is to have someone push while you're standing up with your legs straight and feet together. How easy is it to keep your balance? Then try it with your feet apart and knees slightly bent -- you should be able to react better and absorb the push without stumbling. Pretty much the same deal on the boat.

Check some of the performance sailing books or do an internet search to see if you can find some good diagrams or photos of proper trapeze posture.

For your knees when you cross over and duck under the boom, I think the best solution might be to try to stay off them instead of wearing knee pads that are likely to be bulky and get more in your way. You have less balance and mobility when you're on your knees so you'd be better off trying to keep on your feet and squat down. It can be tough changing how you do things but if you get the ergonomics right it can make a HUGE difference in how well things work on the water.

And yes, to a certain extent you will find that the more experience you have, the fewer "boat bites" you're likely to get because you get the mechanics dialed in better AND you also toughen up some too.

If its any consolation, after racing on sunday I had bruised outside both my knees, torn ligaments in my ankle, a huge bruise on my left leg, and a hole in my Laser.
I had the glory of leading the fleet around the top mark in the last race (30 year old sail and all) only to be passed by eight boats down the next two reaches as my boat slowly disappeared from view beneath the waves.
I think I had about 90 litres aboard by the time I reached the shore. Not Fast.

On trapezing:
Try to learn how to go out and in without being hooked on. Just grab the handle and go for it! if you get the height set up right for the handle and the ring, you can hook on just by lifting your hips up while lying out holding the handle. when coming in, unhook first, then pull yourself up to a stand/crouch using the handle and jibsheet, then just run through to the other side. dont try to sit on the side, like they teach you to do when you learn on a cat, as its just too slow and awkward on flat shape dinghies like the laser2.

I also seem to get these bruises on laser 2s, however I am skipper. It must just be a really rough boat!

Back