Broken Screw in Deck Plate

burittoman

Second sail of the season, when pulling in on the outhaul, I heard a pop and saw a screw laying on the deck. I had snapped off a screw on the deck plate and I now have part of the screw in the hull of the boat.

My plan was to drill out the old screw and attempt to put in another slightly larger screw. I have seen posts about adding epoxy and dowels to make it more secure/tighter/better. I plan to supplement the screw hole with something.

Next question what are the parameters for screw that I am using to replace it? Are they english or metric? I assume I should use stainless steel? Can you use something from the hardware/home improvement store or is my best best to use something from a reputable Laser dealer?

Hi mate, doubt that regular hardware places cater for marine but you never know ?
You need a4 stainless, machine thread so a4m6 I think ? The remnant in there will be a right bitch to drill as it should be a4.
If you have an inspection hatch it would be easier to grab it from below with pliers and screw it down and out.

May I ask what you boat no. is ? For age reference.
Any chandlery will carry a3/a4 stainless, you want a4.

Last edited:
Hi mate,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have included a photo of the imprint on the back of the boat which i believe includes the serial number. The last 2 digits were cut off, but they were 92. So the whole number from left to right would be:
SLIE84226292.

I went to the hardware store and just returned. It looks like I will have to take a trip up to my favorite sailing store, whether I want to or not. All the hardware available in Stainless was english and not metric.

Also, now knowing the serial number; would I be able to figure out how much wood is under the deck block if I decide to drill holes just fore or aft of the present holes? My inspection port is aft of my centerboard, my arms are just not that long. ;-)

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 40
The screws protrude down a good 3/4 inch through the deck, mebbe extend your reach by slipping ( finding first ) a couple of tubes over the end of the pliers handles and working by feel ? Helps if you have a pic of what your working on/ around - stick your arm in and snap a pic with your phone ?
I would definitely try this or similar before committing to making more holes, three minutes of discomfort but getting a result = minimal damage and that self glow of ' I did it'....

Hello:
I agree, I have one good shot at this before I put myself into a real pickle. My inspection port is aft of my centerboard, so trying to reach it by hand would be a miracle for anyone other than a carnival act. I was able to take a clear picture of the suspect screw as it is projecting below the wooden plate. As you can see, it peeks through, but not by much.
My plan at this time would be to attempt to drill out the screw with a smaller bit, patch with tiny wooden dowels and epoxy. A plan B would be to drill holes about half-inch (12mm) aft and patch the existing holes.
I have never done either, does either plan sound righteous?
Thanks again.
DSCN3328.JPG

My tuppence worth - go for plan A.
When I've done these I cut a piece of oak as a dowel. sand it to fit snug, soak it in epoxy and insert it into the screw hole.
Once it's gone off, cut it flush to deck and drill the correct diameter hole, fit the screw (without the fitting in situ ) to 95%, remove it, gunk it, fit it again with the fitting in place

Back