Broken Mast Step!! Help!!

LaserKid

I broke my mast step last weekend and was looking for any advice on how to fix it. I can fiberglass but need help in how to go about doing it. I epically need help with what the rules are for repairing my boat so it is still class etc. I have also heard that there is a mast step repair kit is it worth it if i know how to fiber glass?? My dad already fixed one mast step on my other laser but we are not sure it is still legal. also is there any way to keep the deck looking nice or will it always look like a big patch? thank you for any responses
LaserMastStep.jpg

LaserMastStep2.jpg

OUch.. That has to hurt..

The key to legal repair is "Make it like it was before you Broke it""

In teh case of teh mast stgep repair, rake is important not only for legality but for performance. You need to take a lower section and drop it in the mast steps on a fe lasers. Hook the end of the tape to the top of teh mast and measure to the transome in some consistent manner.

When you refasten the base of your mast step tube to the hull, make the step ahve the same rake as the average of the other boats. You can use the mean, median, or mode but I suggest the mode of a group of the newest boats you can find to measure.

There are lots of threads here and in the old email archives about How to fix a mast step so I will not re type it all here.

Jusat make certain you build something that is strong and watertight.

There are some photos here of a possible way to reinforce the bottom end of the tube.

http://schrothfiberglass.com/maststep.htm
Good luck!!

You can do it!!

Wow, that's a mess! Can't help with any advice, sadly, but am curious - how did you manage to do that??

Good luck..

Wow, that's a mess! Can't help with any advice, sadly, but am curious - how did you manage to do that??

Good luck..

Unfortunately its an old boat that i think water leaked into the base of the mast step and rotted the link between the tube and the hull which is not waterproof (correct me if I'm wrong) i was sailing in 12knts gusting up to about 18 reaching.

By the looks of your picture you need a mast step repair kit. I work with Fibreglass. I make mast step repair kits.

I would buy a mast kit repair kit from your local dealer (Svendsons?)......really the only way to go with something that far gone..

what Boathouse said, and honestly, that boat might be past its prime.... might be time for a new one!

if your ever in socal, near Dana Point, I'll take it off your hands, I could do with a hiking bench swing

Back