Broken Carbon Tiller

Tom

This last weekend i went sailing at coffs harbour and broke my 12 race old carbon tiller i was dumped by a freak wave and the coach boat had to bail as they were towing me out. Should i get replacement warrianty ?? (i know that i probly wont but its worth a try) and how can i fix this? it broke off right at the rudder box :'( has anyone else broke theirs if so how?

Regards Tom

I think your screwed ... try sending it back to caompagny. else buy a new one... if it was broken in the midle you could try to fix it with some carbon fiber but now i don't think any fix are possible...

Carbon fiber is very much like fiberglass and can be repaired very much in the same way. I'd take it to your local fiberglass shop and see what they can do for you. Almost everyone at my club has carbon tillers and extensions and many have broken them and had them repaired by wrapping the carbon fiber cloth around them (or fiberglass cloth is carbon is not avaliable) and by slapping some epoxy on it.

you can do that if it,s bronken like in the middle but .. he is saying he broken the end from the rudder head... then you cannot wrap fiber cloth...

Tom -- you have nothing to lose by asking the manufacturer or the shop for a warranty replacement -- just tell them what happened and see what they say.

What brand? You haven't got much hope of a good repair in that area. I have found they are more likely to break with the traveller cranked on and the boat not in sailing mode, launching, that sort of stuff, anytime the rudder can be forced quickly ( by a wave or hitting the bottom) to the extreme end of travel up against a really tight traveller. Unfortunately I have some experience in this as I have broken several protoypes this way, the latest one i have made however would be more likely to tear out the traveller fairlead, its very strong.

Darryn 169711

Sweet i would be really interested in trying one of these new tillers that you have made. The one was just from a laser dealer but it had nothing to do with the quality of the tiller (the quality was amazing) it was just a mistake on my behalf launching in that surf. I would like to get my hands on a black diamond but they dont sell them in australia so yeh. But i did get a resolution to my problem i bought a new one ;) nothing money cant fix eh!

If its an Acme, they are guarenteed for life. Take it back to your dealer and they should give you a replacement.

Back