Bringing back the gloss ?

L-P Gauhtier

I'm fixing my friend's boat... just a little gelcoat patch... I wet sanded it I know I,m wondering how can I make gloss like the rest of the boat... do I need to wetsended with like 1000 1500 sand paper to get it ? or is there a trick... using rubing compound ? I just wanna get the glos back :/

You Might want to check out the drLaser site at www.drLaser.org, click in a few times and go into the Maintenance & Fitness section. It's Under Fixing Hull Scratches- Sanding & Polishing (Wallance).there are a few good articles up there for re-finishing and buffing the hull that you may want to check out.

Ok well I used sand papaer 600 ... so I wil try to go down to 1500... then I'l try rubing compound.... only one I can get close to here is Starbrite rubing compound... is it any good for what I wanna do ?If so I'l go buy the stuff tomorow because the marine store is closed on sundays.

you want starbrite hull cleaner with teflon

a electric buffer and a strong rubbing arm to buff it out... that's it

Hello L.P.,
It sounds like your on the right track... My 2 cents worth of advice is, wet sand down to at least 1500 and maybe even if you feel really froggy go down to 2000 grit. One thing to remember when your using this really fine grit sand paper is the fact it wears out fast. Keep a constant trickle of water going while your sanding, if you don't your sand paper will clog up with particles and the quanity of elbow grease needed will rise drastically. Check your sand paper frequently and make sure it is clean when you lift it or your not using enough water, also you can tell by feeling the paper if it is worn out by comparing it with a wet new sheet. I wouldn't even bother with the rubbing compound if you use 1500 git or better. Then like Dave says, get a bottle of Starbrite teflon polish and a electric orbital buffer and get that elbow grease working for you. If you don't have a buffer or access to one. More elbow grease will be needed. Remember the more work you put into your bottom the smoother it will be, the better it will shine and the faster your boat could go compared to your other fellow Laser sailors who didn't put as much time and effort into preparing their boat as you did.
Regards,
FishingMickey
150087/178894

p.s. A couple of plastic 55 gallon barrels makes a great work platform for sanding your Laser bottom, it'll save your back big time.

Back