breather hole

norcalsail

I was quite interested in Golden Duck's new boat, of course. The breather hole on his boat is clearly marked. My boat does not have this. Back when I bought the boat, I noticed if I loosened the drain plug by the splash guard, a noticeable puff of air would come out. Being cautious, I have been keeping it loose when not in the water. Could there be an unmarked breather hole on my boat? If not, could I drill one? Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

That sticker is a relatively new addition. Most Sunfish won't have it.
To find the breather hole, just look for a small hole under the lip upfront.

If you are getting a whoosh then I'd say somethin' ain't right. I am waiting for a response from my contact at LP to see what info he has on hull vents. I wouldn't drill anything yet, as we don't know what is where inside the hull, esp with reports of some new boats having float bags instead fo float foam. You might hear a big whoosh of you drill :)

1981 vintage hull vent.

E6AC7069-1725-4A5C-B7B7-3B688D6B56FA.jpeg

Even older boats (early 70s) had hull vent underneath a Serial Number sticker. Pre 70s hull vent was drilled through the Serial Number deck plate.

IMG_0722.jpg

...Unless your boat was wooden....we don't need no stinkin vents...

CHIP serial number plate.jpg

Thanks for that information and checking into this Signal. I had a feeling something might be amiss and appreciate Chris W for bringing it up. "Whoosh" is the correct terminology for the sound I get! I'm going to take a closer look as Wavedancer suggested...

Back